Chapter 1: Arnav

Author's Note: This story is set after Episode 257. Instead of Khushi finding out that Arnav didn't make it to the conference - or to London for that matter - she goes to visit him while he's at the conference. There's no kidnapping, but everything until the phone call Khushi receives in the car on the way to the airport is still true in the AU.

The story will be told in close third person and each chapter will alternate points of view between Khushi and Arnav.

*****

The room slowly darkened around Arnav as he sat at the window of his hotel room, watching people rush by on the street far below. Couples walked hand in hand, parents with their children between them, and those without companions rushed to their next destination with their phones glued to their ears. It was easier to contemplate the lives of the strangers on the street than to turn his thoughts to himself.

As the shadows lengthened, however, he couldn't stop the memories from flooding back. His mother's smile, her fragrance, her laughter, and her soft words of advice. Her gentle touch on his forehead, as he was about to fall asleep. Her sweet voice bringing him comfort after a nightmare.

Her scream on the day of his sister's wedding.

The crash of smashing glass brought Arnav back to his surroundings. He glared at the broken remains of his drink before picking up his phone to type in Di's number, but stopped before he was finished. He couldn't talk to her. He couldn't talk to anyone right now. He threw the phone back on the table, ignoring the many missed calls and messages.

Di always asked him why he needed to get out of India on their mother's birthday, why he couldn't stay and share his grief with her and the rest of their family. Arnav had never found the words to tell her that he was scared of how they would react to his grief and anger. He never wanted them to see this side of him.

His memories were almost too painful to bear. He knew that he could run to the other side of the world and they wouldn't stop plaguing him, but he couldn't imagine being in India on his mother's birthday. It was a pain he didn't think he would survive.

Arnav avoided alcohol when he could, disliking the loss of control that came with the indulgence. But once a year, on his mother's birthday, he drank himself to oblivion in an effort to cope with the memories. Another reason that he chose to spend this day away from his family – they, especially Di, couldn't see him like that.

The gathering darkness made it hard to see the street below; the London evening was slowly coming to life. It was time to go.

Arnav reached for his wallet, jacket and hotel key card, turned all the lights off, and walked out to the elevator, leaving behind his phone and his ties to those he'd left behind.