chapter two

"A library is the hospital for the mind"
-anonymous

            Tristan stopped in his tracks when a very tired looking Ethereal approached him, or appeared to be walking towards him, a deep breath exhaled as she walked past him

Tristan stopped in his tracks when a very tired looking Ethereal approached him, or appeared to be walking towards him, a deep breath exhaled as she walked past him. This time her hair was in a mid high ponytail, showing off her deeply slanted eyes which were a beautiful dark brown, that contrasted with her few shades lighter medium brown skin. A pair of older fashion glasses were hanging desperately on the bridge of her nose.

She smelled like Gingersnap cookies and overly roasted coffee, which in all honestly, he thought smelled lovely. "E-Excuse me?" the voice startled him from his thoughts, "Uh, yes?" it was Ethereal, her fingers sliding up and down the different spines of books, feeling the slight indentations of the words against the thick paper. "Do you know where I'd be able to find a book by Ava Dellaira, I looked through the A and D sections and couldn't find anything?" Tristan noticed the Love Letters to the Dead poking out from the top of her bag, "Th-The newly arrived section, p-possibly." Dang my stuttering!, he thinks angrily.

"Ok, thanks." a small smile appeared on her face and she walked away, he had missed his chance to actually have an actual conservation with her. Ethereal didn't check out a new book, usually she'd read two totally different books at a time, but she decided against it as she took her seat in her usual spot in the middle of the library, locating the book barely inside her bag. Her legs were propped in the seat next to her, her busy fingers fiddling with the pages as she read.

As time passed, Ethereal purchased herself a medium sized coffee and small chocolate chip muffin from the coffee shop expansion inside, further right of the library.

Tristan was on break from his shift and decided to take a seat a few tables in front of Ethereal, every now and then he'd look up, glancing over at her, noticing every anxious move she made. His lips formed a smirk when he noticed her shirt; the nbhd was written on the front in large letters, how could he have missed that this morning when he saw her. They liked the same band. Within minutes she had gotten up again, making her routine trip to get more coffee and a snack.

"Uh, e-excuse me? are you the woman last night that gave me the coffee?"

"Oh yes, that was me," a gentle smile laid upon the woman's face, "I was wondering if you could help me find the guy that purchased the coffee for me, I wanted to thank him," the woman seemed to look around, searching, hoping not to be too obvious. "He's over there; blue shirt, curly hair, hiding behind the large book." the older woman chuckles softly, "His name is Tristan, he's a bit shy."

Ethereal thanks her and heads back to the table to begin reading once again, honestly she wasn't entirely reading, her mind was focused on Tristan and his sweet deed yesterday. This morning when she first arrived, she remembered passing him and then asking him for help, she remembered his bright, vibrant green eyes and the freckles across his nose. She closes the book and stands up, spotting him organizing a shelf of books, Ethereal was usually very outgoing, that was a big part of her personality; which was a bit obnoxious to other people. She didn't want to give this guy, Tristan a bad vibe about her.

Ethereal slowly roams the aisle he's on, thinking of a plan. She notices something about him, his height. She pretends to try and reach a book on the very top shelf, "Excuse me? Could you possibly help me?"

"Oh, uhm, s-sure," Tristan clears his throat before reaching up to retrieve the book for her, "I see you're a fan of The Neighbourhood," he says with a random flood of confidence, handing her the book, immediately looking down at her bold letters imprinted on her shirt. "One of my many favorite bands," she chuckles quietly, examining the words and cover pages of the book that she had randomly asked Tristan for. We have something else in common, we both love reading and we like similar msuic, Tristan thought.

"You're Tristan, right?"

"Y-yes," Ethereal smiles, examining the details of his face, "I wanted to thank you,"

"For what?"

"For the coffee last night, that was very thoughtful, it definitely kept me warm while I waited for the bus," Tristan nods slightly, with warm cheeks.

"You're welcome." He decided something, he loved the sound of her voice, it wasn't quiet or soft. It was more bold yet comforting.

"My name's Ethereal," He smiles, "That's a lovely name, Ethereal." he furrows his rather thick eyebrows when she sighs, "I don't think it very much, my name," Ethereal shrugs her shoulders, looking up at him slightly, "O-oh, why not? it's very pretty."

Ethereal didn't like her name because people always held such a high standard when they heard it, they expected her to be a delicate, lovely young lady that was extremely proper, intelligent and exceeded the high stereotypical standard for a girl. Ethereal hated it, she wasn't delicate, heavenly, lovely or anything like that.

"It's a long story, maybe I'll tell you another time. It was nice meeting you, Tristan. Have a good night." and she left to go clean up her area and pack up her things, leaving for the bus stop like every other night, but before she left, she wanted to return the favor.

Tristan smiled as he got into his car, sitting the coffee in the cup holder. "Thanks Ethereal." he mumbles, starting his car up and heading home.