10

Wedging my fingers and shoes into cracks in the bricks, I hide just out of sight as the men go through the bathroom, kicking all the stall doors open.

Oh, oh god.

Did I forget to unlock the door?

Counting down the stalls to mine, I almost cry with relief when the door is kicked open and slams against the wall before swinging closed again.

Not wanting to alert the scary guys to my continuing presence in the hospital, I grit my teeth and begin to work my way down the wall.

By the time I get to the locker room, I am drenched in sweat, and my fingers are all red and scratched.

Shimmying my way inside, I push the window closed and make my way across the hall to the "blood room." Sliding my keycard through the little scanner, I actually end up crossing myself when the door whooshes open without setting off the alarm.

Going inside and shutting the door behind me, I go from bank to bank, stuffing as much bags of blood as I can into my backpack that I had rigged into a cooler for the occasion.

Once it is full, I go back across to the locker room and, opening my locker, find that I did actually forget something in it.

Pulling out the slightly threadbare beanie, I pull it on and ride the elevator back up to the main floor.

Walking past the front desk, I gesture happily to my hat, and quickly make my get away.

Back in the car, the adrenaline oozes out of my body, and I slump down in the car seat.

I breathe in greats breaths of fresh air, and am just sitting back up when the scary guys walk right by my car. Slinking down in my seat, I wait until they have left the parking lot to drive away.

With my heart in my throat, I take the long way home, and park in the back of my building before running around and practically diving into my apartment.