Chapter 14: Attack On Eternal

The meeting in Xiao's room turned out to be nothing at all, at least for the first half hour. Xiao was giving me a lecture about how I'd be trained by the four best students at Eternal Academy and the heirs to the Crown, and how it would help me in honing my magic and combat skills. Despite this explanation, Adrian seemed very confused as to why he was there.

"Oh, Mr. Skalanias." Xiao said quickly. "I forgot to mention this to you, but you'll be tutoring Prince Scarlett."

Adrian blinked in surprise. "Why, is her attribute Reality magic?"

"Not exactly. I'll explain in further detail once the other mentors get here." Xiao said, flicking his tail.

I nudged Adrian. "So, you're one of the best students on campus?"

Adrian nodded. "I-It's nothing, really. I just do my homework, and do what teachers instruct me. In the weekly battles, I came first in my division, but only because I've kind of been bred and trained as a killing machine."

"Still, that's pretty cool." I commented. "I look forward to working with you."

"And I do, too."

Soon, the room began to fill up. First came in Jian, carrying a scared-looking Hazu on his back. Kallan came next, her hair up in a high ponytail and wearing workout gear, forehead covered in sweat like she just got out of gym class. Talia sashayed into the room with the usual sunny forecast of a scowl showing on her face, followed by Madoc and Luc, who seemed to be arguing in two different foreign languages. Since when did Luc know how to speak French? And where did Madoc learn Spanish? And why were the best students at Eternal all people that I knew? Go figure, I guess.

Everyone began to stand around me, and pretty soon all eyes were on Xiao for an explanation.

"This had better be good." Madoc said. "I was in the middle of creating fabulous posters for the concert tonight."

"I thought you hated concerts." Talia said rudely.

"I do." Madoc shot back. "But I love creating the posters. There is a difference, Miss It's-Too-Cold-Where-I-Come-From-So-I-Must-Be-Grouch-At-All-Times."

Talia growled as she pinched Madoc's lips shut. "Shut your face, you nitwit."

Madoc spread his hands, knocking her hand off. "Hey, it's your own fault if you can't handle my..." Madoc snapped his hands in a z-fashion. "Fabulousity!"

"That's not even a real word!" Talia argued.

"Well it is in my language."

"I didn't mind getting out of Elements." Luc offered, trying to draw attention away from the arguing duo. "That class is boring."

"What did we get called down here for anyways?" Jian asked, setting Hazu down gently.

"I'm glad you asked, Mr. Gao." Xiao said. He laid his head atop his scaly front paws and flicked out his tongue. "All of you will be mentoring Scarlett."

"What?" Came a collective gasp from my peers.

"Hold up..." Kallan said, rubbing her temples. "I thought that the Crown would only be training her. You didn't say anything about us being mentors."

"Yeah, why us?" Jian chimed.

"I mean, not to be rude or anything..." Madoc started, giving the implication that what he said was, in fact, going to be rude. "But aren't mentors supposed to be, like...mature and experienced?"

"I am far more experienced than you are, Madoc!" Talia shouted in her Russian accent.

"Hey, I was referring to me." Madoc said. "Man, Talia, you take everything too personally."