The Funeral

He's still here, I feel him all around. At night,his arms wrap around me and I can breathe again. I know he should go. I know heno longer belongs here, but I'm selfish and I don't want him to leave me. -IRISH

I don't want to do this. He can't be gone.

Irish Meadow stood looking at her tear stained face in the bathroom mirror. She was supposed to speak at her fiancé's funeral, but she couldn't accept that he was gone. "Irish, honey." Her mother spoke, tapping softly on the door.

She wiped her eyes and opened it. "I can't do this. Mikel can't be gone." The tears poured down her cheeks again.

"You don't have to speak, honey." Her mother responded gently.

"What would he think?" Irish asked.

Her mother cupped her cheeks. "He'd understand." she reassured.

"Maybe, but it doesn't feel right not saying something." Her mother embraced her briefly and then took her hand, leading her into the service room.

She slowly walked up to the podium clenching a note he had written her before the wreck. He had asked her to hold onto to it till he got home from his trip. She still hadn't opened it. She was afraid to open it without him.

"In this envelope is the last words I'll ever have from Mikel. It was something he wanted us to open together and I still can't. I don't want to accept that he lost his life doing what he loved. Flying planes was what he enjoyed and one took his life." She paused, choking back tears.

"We were supposed to have a life. We were supposed to have a family." She rested her hand on her stomach.

"He wanted to be a father and he would have been amazing. I love him, I'll always love him. My world won't ever be the same." She stopped and raced out of the room. She couldn't be there anymore.