Secret Uncovered...

Jake climbed the stairs as quietly as he could. He could hear Avery and Katie's voices in Avery's room.

Sammy had let him in with concern, and checked to see if he had any weapons, which seemed a little extreme to Jake, but that's probably how he looked when Katie's friends came over. Like Avery.

Now he was in her house, ready to spill Avery's - maybe Katie's - secret about water. Whatever that was. 

He felt the water bottle in his hand. He rubbed the plastic with his index finger and thumb. It was smooth and cold, yet soft with the water inside. 

He was in a hallway now. He didn't know which door was Avery's, but he could hear them laugh loudly. 

He grabbed the doorknob before counting to 3. At 3, he jerked open the door, and he sprayed water everywhere. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avery was too scared to know if she was angry or upset. Water rolled down her arms and cheeks. Her legs hurt.

Her tail formed, and Jake jumped, leaning against the wall. He leaped to the door to get away, but Avery, now thinking, made it windy so he was stuck against the wall. She also shut the door, and Katie helped by icing it shut. 

She was also in a tail, but she must have fallen on the floor because she was now. 

Avery stopped her blowing.

"What are  you?" Jake shuttered, looking at the tails. 

"It's from my mom's chemicals." Avery explained calmly. "It was magic. We both drank it, and we both turned into mermaids. We also got powers, which you probably already know about." Avery blushed, remembering the lunchroom madness. 

Jake smiled a little at the memory. "Well, that was, um, fun."

"What are you guys talking about?" Katie asked, confused. 

"Nothing!" They both answered quickly. 

"So..how do you get rid of the tails??" He asked, not looking too terrified now. 

"When we get dry." Katie answered first.

Jake nodded, understanding. "That makes sense."

"No it doesn't." Avery shook her head, arguing slightly. 

Jake smiled a little. He walked up to Avery slowly. He looked at her. 

She stared right back. 

He touched her tail if his fingertip. "Wow." He whispered. He smiled at Avery and Katie. "I know what you're thinking. I'll keep your secret."

Avery smiled at Katie. 

New scales and tails was definitely not easy. Somehow, it was better when you had friends.