ART and a sneak peek at Part 2

ALYA

MAI

SNEAK PEEK:

We landed onto the grass with a thud. Alya and I sat up. My ears were ringing and my vision was blurry. I was still with shock for a moment, then joy filled up my whole body like hot tea overflowing from the cup.

"We made it!" I yelled and jumped up. Alya unsteadily stood up beside me.

"We made it..." She echoed, staring around.

We were in the middle of a huge field. We probably would have to walk a mile just to get out and to some civilization.

"I'm home!" I said.

"And I'm very far away." Alya replied. And that's when it hit her, when her smile slid off her face and she collapsed, sobbing.

"Mom..." She cried, her face in the grass. Immediately I crouched down and just held her as she sobbed.

I felt incredibly guilty about Mrs.Dyal. She'd died getting me home. And now Alya was an orphan without either of her moms.

We were there for awhile, Alya crying and me comforting her. After about an hour, she got up and wiped her eyes. We began walking out of the field silently, holding hands.

The field we'd landed in was huge and full of prickly plants and tall grasses but eventually we got out and stumbled onto the short grass next to a highway.

"I know where we are..." I said slowly. "I know where we are!" I was maybe a little too excited, but it'd been awhile since I'd really known where I was. Alya offered me a weak smile. I took her hand again and we set off along the side of the road. I was going home.