The Glass Island

The Glass Island

On a short boat journey off the coast of Venice, I see a cluster of lagoon islands, all known for their individual characteristics and histories. As a sea breeze blows across my face, it cools me down from the humidity and takes me closer to my destination. The island of Murano, renowned for its glass work and glass making centre. Displayed everywhere are enormous glass chandeliers in a multitude of colours with long tentacle-like arms spiralling outwards. Each tendril a different colour.

As I walk past a factory entrance I see first hand the process of glass blowing, each vase being contorted into delicate shapes. The blower using a long, metal stick to dip one end into, picking up and wrapping the molten glass around it. Then standing like a trumpet player - blowing into one end as the glass expands until it becomes almost transparent - is the glassblower. The rod, moving around to determine the shapes of the vases. Some traditional, others in fantastical designs.

Walking past an array of shops, I see varying designs and qualities of glass, to suit every budget. There are many products to choose from, from lampshades, to watches and even decorative art pieces. After looking through several hundred designs, I couldn't resist buying a delicate, round necklace with a purple and blue design that sits on a silver chain. It consists of individual glass pieces with round coloured patterns that have been fused together to create one, continuous shape. The pendants are the perfect presents, I pick up a pink, blue and gold one to give to some friends for their birthdays. As well as this I see a decorative gold and red plate, which I pick up for home as it matches the theme in the living room.

I walk along the canals, crossing over countless bridges and taking a photo opportunity from one in particular, that captured the shops as well as the sea in the background. The water, like the glass, reflecting the sunlight and mirroring the buildings that line the street. Exploring the island in thirty degree heat leaves me feeling flushed, so I stop at a little cafe opposite the boat stop. When I enter I am pleased to see they have various Slushy drinks that are ice cold. I opt for a coke flavoured one, which is perfect as it cools me down nicely while tasting delicious at the same time.

I reflect on how the island had somehow remains extraordinarily peaceful and picturesque among the coloured glass, painted houses and tourists that were wandering around. I finally understood the relaxing nature of an island life.

When I am done, I walk back over to the boat stop and wait for the water-bus to take me to the next gorgeous island. Next stop, Burano, the lace island, famous for its quirky, brightly painted houses.