Return Of An Old Face

September 6, 2009

It's been a long time since I've been home.

3 Months and 6 days. 13 Weeks. 98 Days. 2352 Hours. 141,120 minutes since I left home.

Will they want me back? Did they miss me?

All these thoughts rushed through my head as I drove past the Mystic Falls sign on my way into town.

The last time I was in this mundane town was the day of my parent's funeral which was on May 31st. 'How did they die' did you ask?

It was quite a memorable day, something that I'll never forget...

*

It was May 23rd, 2009, quite a sunny, warm day. You wouldn't of expected that anything would happen but fate just had to mess things up...

Forget about the day I just described, the event happened at night.

It was Family Game Night and Elena had decided to ditch us for our friends. I decided to forgo the bonfire and stay with my family. Family first, friends second after all.

"Your dad is making me play pictionary!" Jenna said to someone on the phone as I helped mom and dad with the snacks, "I suck at pictionary!"

"You do. You're terrible..." Dad teased.

"Bite me Grayson!" Aunt Jenna replied mockingly. Elena said something on the other side of the line and said, "Ohhh... Having second thoughts on ditching family night?" she teased as she grabbed some popcorn from the bowl that dad was taking to the living room.

"Here..." mom said as she held her hand out for the phone. I stayed by my mom's side and pressed my ear on the back of the phone despite the fact she kept swatting at me to go away.

"Elena? Everything okay?" she asked softly.

"Matt and I got into a fight..." I heard her sigh on the other side, "He was talking about... college... and marriage and all the stuff that he always talks about. I just... I couldn't."