How To: Main Character

So, obviously, main characters are key. And your main character can be whoever you want it to be; but try to steer away from stereotypical main characters. For example, somebody who starts off quite shy, but rises to become a bad-ass leader and ultimately rises to become the savior, that rescues one, or many people from the villain or difficulty that is being faced.

Generally in Teen-Fiction, the main male is somebody popular and good looking, that is usually keeping a deep secret and has a dark past. I understand that this is quite blunt; but maybe if your character is like this, put a twist on it.

Make your character unique and somebody that people can relate to.

So to recap (lol I'm adding loads of stuff not mentioned into this but anyway..):

Make your character unique - try to steer away from stereotypes (e.g. being blonde), unless of course, this is your aim.

Relatable or inspirational characters make a great main character.

Characters are motivated. Everybody is motivated and everybody has reasons for their actions. For example, if your favourite character wasn't motivated, maybe they wouldn't be as meaningful.

Fear. No matter how strong your character is, they must be afraid of something - everybody is.

Personality. So this links to the previous bullet point, but give your character a memorable, relatable or inspirational personality. Personality is what makes a person themselves. And make sure that what your character does is influenced by their personality or others'. Give your character strengths and weaknesses; emotion, back-story. Let this personality change due to events that have took place during the story.

Your main character should have strong connections with at least one character.

Your character should experience internal and external conflict, which will influence their later decisions.

A physical appearance. One of the first steps to connecting with a character is probably recognising what they look like so the reader can have an 'image' of the character. Also, looks can really affect what the reader thinks of the character.

Not too predictable. So although I said that the character's personality should impact their actions, your character shouldn't be too obvious. The character should surprise the reader at times.

Think carefully about the name that you give them, as like I've said (again) this can affect a reader's opinion on the character.

Let me be brave - Clara Oswald

Allison <3