Day 1

Warning: The following text includes relationship between men. If you're not comfortable with MxM books, now's the right time to leave.

Standing at the entrance to the most magnificent ballroom he had ever seen in his life, Atticus  had the view of the whole parquet. Before descending the grand staircase, he assured himself that what he was doing was neither wrong nor dangerous. For the last time, he scanned the dance floor, and took baby steps down to join the crowd.

Everyone was impeccably dressed, their gowns and masks lifted the atmosphere and transferred it to a new world of anonymity and complete abandon, where, hid behind the masks, everyone could do anything, even the unspeakable, which perfectly described what Atticus was about to do.

The purpose of this masquerade was to let people enjoy themselves to the fullest without having to worry about the consequences. Whatever went on in the ballroom stayed in the ballroom. There were alcoves where couples could find some privacy. That is if being hid behind a curtain with two hundreds people just a stone's throw away could be considered private.

Atticus had thought this over and over, telling himself that he would try this once, and then never again. It would be one of his dirty secrets that he would take to his grave. No one would ever know that he had participated in such a depraved activity.

He crossed the room, trying to avert his eyes from the people who seemed to have decided to get hot in the middle of the ballroom. Although he had a mask, he couldn't help but look at the floor as he walked, afraid that someone might recognise him.

He couldn't believe he had been invited to this masquerade that would be held every night for a whole week. He didn't know who had invited him or for what purpose. Just a week prior to the start of the masquerade week he had opened his mail box to find an envelope with a mask. No message had been included. It was suspicious, however Atticus's curiosity had won over common sense.

Not sure what to do, he walked towards one corner of the ballroom, where he could observe people. On his way, someone brushed past him, and he could feel something being pushed into his palm. He wrapped his fingers around it, and looked down to see what it was.

A folded piece of paper.

His heart started to race, and he wondered if it was from the person who had sent him the invitation. He looked up, but the person who had given him the paper was gone. He had blended into the crowd.

With shaky hands, Atticus unfolded the paper, and read. 

Come.

There were directions how to get to one of the guest rooms. No signature. Atticus knew what would happen if he went there. It was what he had come for, but it was what he also feared. Gulping, he stuffed the paper into his pocket, and made his way to the door. 

The closer he got to the guest room, the more nervous he was. He was shaking, sweat was running down his forehead, and his hands were getting clammy. The thought of getting intimate with a stranger got him hot and bothered.