Prologue

I was ten when my mind was made up. I used to believe in superheroes and villains. The superheroes would always defeat the villains, and save everyone. I wanted to be a hero. That dream was crushed one sunny day when reality hit me like a train.

I was walking around the park, while my father's driver sat on a nearby bench reading a newspaper. My hair was tied up in a loose pony tail and my broad rimmed glasses bounced off the bridge of my nose as I ran to find someone to play with. In my arms, clutched tightly to my chest, were my new comic books. Somehow in my child brain I didn't realize that I was treated different. From anyone's point-of-view I was nerd. A geek. A loser. Or at least that's how they viewed me. I thought since my parents were rich, and I had every toy a child could have, I was instantly friends with everyone. But that was most defiantly not the case.

As I ran through the park, I ran into a group of kids. Literally ran into them. Some were my age, but some were the older and in middle school.

"Sorry!" I said, pushing my glasses up my nose and quickly picking up the comic books that I had dropped.

"You should be!" An older girl said, looking down on me.

It didn't hit me that she sounded irritated. I just knew that there was a group of kids in front of me. Kids that I recognized. Kids that I wanted to play with.

"Can I play with you guys? I have comics! They're brand new! You guys can read them if you want!" I offered eagerly. While some of the boys looked interested in the thought of reading the new comics, the girl who spoke earlier looked disgusted.

"No. You can't 'play' with us." She spat at me.

"Why?"

"We don't like little geeky girls. We're not you friends." She said, crossing her arms. A group of older girls behind her followed suit

"Of course we are!" I said. I looked at the faces of the kids that I recognized, but they all avoided eye contact.

"No we're not. You're too much of a loser! Just look at your stupid glasses and those dumb comic books! Do you see anyone else running around happy about getting comic books!? That's because no one cares about stupid comic books!" She yelled at me, stepping closer. I stepped backwards trying to avoid her, but that just caused me trip and fall on my butt, my comic books to falling around me. My eyes started to water as I quickly tried to gather my comics.

"What?! Is the baby sad? Well, babies can't read, so you won't be needing these!" She said, yanking my glasses off my face. Suddenly my vision became blurry, and I tried to reach for my glasses but she held them high above her head.

"You won't be needing these either!" Another older girl said, as she picked up one of my comic books and began to rip the pages out. The other kids followed her, picking up my comic books and ripping the pages out.

I couldn't help the tears streaming down my face. "STOP IT!" I cried.

They didn't listen to me. I just had to sit there as these blurry figures, whom I thought were my friends, tore up my comic books. In the middle of it all I heard a snap, and then two things were thrown at me. I picked them up and realized that they were my glasses, snapped in half.

I had wanted a hero to come and save me. That's how it works right? The hero saves people from the villains? Well that's not how it worked today. No one came to my rescue, no one stepped in to stop the villains, nothing.

That's when I shattered, like a vase hitting the tile floor. My sense of what I thought was reality, the good and bad, vanished. There were no heroes. Only villains. If I didn't want to be tormented by my villains, I would just have to become an even worse villain. Even if that meant hating myself and what I become.

~*~*~*~

Comment & Vote.