2. Married Alone

The empty space next to me on our marital bed makes me feel cold and well...empty. He is supposed to be here next to me, holding me and keeping me warm in his loving embrace. But he is not. Hasn't been for the longest time now, and I have always kept track of the duration of these intervals where he would neglect me in favor of some merger or other. I have never been moved by those occasions, knowing when its just a flavor of the week thing and when its really work.

I knew then that my husband, my Dominic was still mine. That he would always remember his way home back to me.

It wasn't until six months passed and he kept growing apart from me, from our little family. He would only come in for a change of clothes, not explaining where he spent his nights, even if its just a lie. No, this time around he didn't care, still doesn't.

He used to care about our Sunday family dinners, with his parents and mine. Now, he can't be bothered about keeping up appearances.

The shame that suffocates me when both the older couples are seated around the dinner table and I am stuck with an empty chair on my right is just too much. Not even distracting myself with our little Liam can make me numb to his absence. Nothing can.

Right now these sheets are so cold, my heart is so broken and I feel so lonely.

I keep thinking about yesterday...

Today my husband looked so dashing in his new Armani suit, a crisp masterpiece. It hugged his large chest and stuck to his muscular arms, tapering down to his slightly narrow waist before encasing the strength that is his legs.

But he also had a new watch, a Rolex. I know my husband to be classy, not flashy.

"Darling, you look dapper." I said throwing my arms around the man I chose to spend forever with, not minding that I was only wearing one of his dress shirts that I had taken to incorporating into my outfits since his absence.

I smiled, feeling his arms grab firmly onto my waist, I thought he was returning my embrace.

But Dominic peeled me off of him and promptly pushed me to the side before fixing his coat while directing his stormy gray eyes my way.

"I am really pressed for time Kimberly, please excuse me."

He moved on from the doorway of our home, a ridiculous mansion that had been in his family for years. The giant structure had top notch chandeliers in the hall that was our entry way, marbled floors and right at the centre of all was a nice stairway the top floor. They were lined wall to wall with antique art, paintings of both our ancestral lines. Upstairs on the second floor was where our en-suite bedroom was, office space alongside our son's bedroom because we kept the guest space and everything entertainment on the first floor.

I was stuck, I was still stuck in how there was no tenderness in that voice he used when addressing me, he had moved me like I was an obstacle in his path and not his wife in our home.

"Where have you been?" I asked irritated. All my frustrations made themselves known from that one action of his. "I know I was never that special to you Dominic but I don't remember the same applying to our child."