Change

"Sleep, sleep, sleep" my mind kept urging me. "Rest, rest, rest" I tried to shake the voices from my head, just kidding I'm not supernatural I'm just very tired.

I've heard the rumors about this town but having my single mom raise me back home where all the heartbreak happened was just hard on all of us, we just had to leave.

I thought to myself that I needed a change, a new start, and this was it. I should make the most out of it while I can.

I got up out of my bed and trudged to the left of my new room, by my window I found the box titled 'art supplies' I opened it and found my scissors. I walked into the undecorated bathroom and stared into the mirror.

I ran my fingers through my long hair and watched my reflection in the mirror. My fingers sliding between each clump of strands, I smoothed it out with my hands and picked up my scissors. I slowly began to chop the lower level of my hair off, leaving it barely at my shoulders.

I smiled in the mirror at my new hair for the first time.

I shook my head to get out any remaining strands of hair clinging to the ends. Then flipped it around with my hands, shocked by how light it felt.

I brushed through my wavy hair. I smiled. "Change is good" something my old friend Charlotte tried to tell me.

I was just now grasping the concept of change and tomorrow would be the next step; adapting to change.
________________________________

When the morning came I hit my alarm clock to shut it off, realizing I had apparently hit snooze two times before coming to the realization of it being my first day at beacon hills high school.

I shot up out of bed and ran my hands through my hair then freaked out for a second forgetting about the change I had made to it.

I stood up and changed into a big tee shirt that I prefer to wear as a dress. I slipped on some grey knee socks and ran to the bathroom.

I applied my makeup carefully, not wanting to look like a clown on my first day. It was subtle yet bold; sharp eyeliner, long luscious lashes and dewy skin. My aunt had been a makeup artist for the majority of her life so I've learned my skill from her.

I hear a footsteps come pounding down the hallway and knocking on my door.

"Come in!" I yelled.
"Hey you're still driving me to school right?"
"Yeah of course." I replied.

I brushed my hair and flipped part of it to the side causing a voluminous side part. Then tucked one side behind my ear revealing my ear piercings.

I smiled and slipped on my combat boots. I gathered everything in my bag and shut my bedroom door behind me.

"Riley, did you eat anything?" I asked as she was walking down the stairs.

"Yeah I had some cereal."

I nodded and grabbed a protein bar.

"Let's go!" I said while grabbing the car keys.