In Consequence - Chapter 5

Mr. Thornton carefully surveyed the multitude of men and women bent over humming looms as he strode through the large factory floor. Every position was filled, although not perfectly tended. Nearly all of his workers had returned. Only those that feared retribution for their part in the riot remained at bay.

He was reluctant to admit it, but hiring the Irish had not helped production. Unskilled in factory labor, their work would be better done by more experienced hands. Most of the men and women he had brought to England wished to be returned to their homeland. The only good they had done him, the Master mused with bitter exasperation, was to instigate the riot and bring an end to the strike.

What he really needed to fill the backlog of orders was to ensure that every machine was tended seamlessly by attentive and responsible hands. He could use more experienced workers who knew the labor and intricacies of the various machines and the stages of cotton production from the carding room to the final weaving process. There were few, however, who knew how to manage beyond their own station.

Mr. Thornton continued to contemplate this quandary as he made his early morning round through the mill. Suddenly, he was aware that Mr. Williams was at his side.

“Pardon me, Master, but there’s a gentleman awaiting you in your office,” the overseer related.

Mr. Thornton nodded and immediately turned his steps toward the large doors at the far end of the grand weaving shed, heading for his office in the corridor nearer the quieter carding room. He expected that one of his buyers must have come to inquire about the progress of his order, so many of which were hopelessly behind schedule because of the interminable strike. He was therefore surprised to be greeted by the gray-headed figure of his landlord.

“Thornton!” Mr. Bell exuded as he stood up to greet the Master of the mill.

“Mr. Bell, what may I do for you?” Mr. Thornton asked with a faint crinkle of his brow, wondering what financial information the wealthy man might require.

“Nothing. Nothing at all,” he assured the diligent businessman. “I was at the Hales yesterday and heard the most intriguing news. I’m told that you have offered for Margaret and that she has accepted you,” he remarked with a degree of incredulity.

“She has,” Mr. Thornton confirmed with a wary apprehension as to the wily Oxford scholar’s intentions.

“I believe I understand the unusual circumstances behind this rather hasty...arrangement, and am quite certain that Mr. Hale is unaware of what you have done. I wish to commend you for safeguarding my goddaughter’s reputation,” he praised the Master.

Mr. Thornton bristled at this insinuation. “I was not moved merely by honor,” he averred in a low voice as he thrust his chin forward with pride.

“No, of course not,” Mr. Bell quickly granted as he regarded the eager lover with a twitch of a smile. “I’ve always thought you were a man of uncommon perception. I believe you appreciate Margaret much as I do. She is an incomparable beauty, but it is her vibrant spirit, her intelligence and deep compassion which make her quite extraordinary,” he appraised as he studied Mr. Thornton’s face for his reaction.

“Yes,” the younger man breathed aloud, rendered almost speechless as he absorbed the animated description of the woman he loved. The Master had long held a great respect for Mr. Bell, although their temperaments and mannerisms could scarcely be more different. At this moment, however, Mr. Thornton felt a bond of kinship with the clever Oxford scholar, as one who shared the discovery of a secret treasure.

Mr. Bell smiled knowingly at the Master. “I believe it is a fair match. Congratulations, Thornton, you are a lucky man!” the older man enthused as he extended his hand.