Chapter 1

Nathan had just left for his walk to town, leaving yesterday's paper in it's usual place on the counter. Losing interest in the book I was re-reading for an unrecallable time, The Wizard of Oz, I slowly make my way up from the living room couch, and headed towards the kitchen. I grabbed the newspaper, and shuffled up the stairs leading to the attic. There, I laid down on the wooden floor, and eagerly, I became immersed within the collection of stories. I smile, and begin humming. How great it is to know that what I am reading is real, and that other people exist in this world besides for Nathan and I.

It is winter, and hardest time of the year for me. Along with the weather outside, my world is frozen. Rarely anything stirs outside of my window, and Nathan hadn't talked to me very much, at least, not after I had left the house to help the Finch children. After reading the paper, I pick my favorite pictures and sentences for cutting out. The attic was old, dusty, and disorganized, but, one wall stayed neat and clean. This was the wall that I glued my newspaper scraps on. There, I had put the picture of Scout and Jem, whom were in the news following the attack by Mr. Ewell. Along with the image, I also had pasted the entire article. I was not mentioned within it.

I glanced out the window, and saw Nathan walking down the far side of the road.. Quickly, I gathered up the leftover scraps, waddled as fast as I could down the stairs, and left them in front of the door. I sit back down on the couch and begin reading my book once more. Nathan entered, rattling the lock on the door. After closing it, he stopped and looked down at the paper scraps. Slowly, his sight shifted to me, his face was mixed with pity and disgust; I wouldn't meet his gaze.

He bent down to collect the gift, and muttered something to himself. He looked jagged, as if a carpenter had made indents too deep, and decided not to waste time sanding him. He had stopped going outside all together after the "incident" and was just now beginning to take his walks again. This gave him slightly more color and life in his face.

I started rambling to myself as I read, few of the sounds that come out of my mouth ever form words. Nathan stared at me, but this time there was no pity, leaving only disgust. He had blamed me for our Mother's death, claiming that I had driven her mad. My family had always thought I was retarded, and I believed it myself. But, my actions have always had meaning, even if no one else ever looked for it .