Despite

"HAH!? YOU DIDN'T TELL ME IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY TODAY!!" Connie screamed as they trio walked together after school.

"Shhh!"

"THIS IS VERY BIG NEWS CONNIE!" Sasha cried aloud.

"INDEED IT IS!!~" For the entire way to the store, they constantly talked about what Mikasa would want for her birthday. In response, she asked of nothing but their existence which flattered the two.

"What would you like, Mikasa! It's all on me today!~" Connie offered as they approached the opening doors.

"Huh? Oh, I couldn't have you do that, Connie. I-It's alright--"

"But you're the birthday girl!" Sasha hooks onto Mikasa's arm and drags her to the candy section.

"Pick out whatever you like~!!"

"Guys, really. It's nothing too special. Connie, you really don't have to do this..." Mikasa laughs.

"I insist milady!"

"Why the hell are you guys so loud---"

Jean appears as an annoyed worker, approaching the trio yet he paused after running into Mikasa.

"Oh... Hello Jean. Nice to see you again." Mikasa bowed in respect.

"No no, it's alright! Please!" Jean shook his head.

"Jean~ do you know what today is?" Connie wiggled his eyebrows.

"Huh? What do you mean?" Jean scratched his head, feeling embarrassed to see Mikasa at this time of day.

"It's Mikasa's birthday today, you doofus!" Sasha spilt.

Jean stares at Mikasa as did she. She shyly grins at him while he gave her a warm smile.

"Happy birthday, Mikasa." Jean softly spoke.

"Thanks, Jean." She nods, pulling a strand behind her ear.

"You can have anything here today. I'll allow it." Jean offered.

"O-Oh no, I couldn't--"

"Please. I know you probably had a rough day today so I want to make it up to you."

Mikasa realized that Jean had blamed the mess on him. He believed that Mikasa had no fault whatsoever.

"You're too kind, Jean. I-I can't--"

"Go on Mikasa! Take your time! Let's enjoy this moment and celebrate your birthday tomorrow!" Sasha cheered.

"She's right." Jean nods.

Mikasa could tell that Jean was serious. This was no joke. He cares deeply for her and valued their friendship.

".... Alright. Let's all get ingredients for tomorrow's party." Mikasa announced as the group cheered.

As soon as Mikasa was finished picking out "free" food and ingredients, Sasha and Connie walked outside with small light bags while Mikasa was following from behind. When they exited from the door, Mikasa stopped for a moment to look at Jean who was lonely. Marco called telling him that he was sick today so now it's just Jean. The day became dim and the sun sets beautifully. Mikasa decided to apporach Jean without Connie and Sasha noticing as they had gone first.

"What is it?" Jean

"I just want to tell you that I am sorry for the mess and everything between you and Eren. It was my fault. I hope I didn't force you or anything." Mikasa looked down, apologizing.