Chapter 1: Saying Goodbye

I was standing in front of Kaori's grave. It's been a month since she passed away, and Kousei's still depressed. I'm trying my best to make him smile again, but he always gives me a fake smile, like he's just doing it to keep me from worrying. Stupid, I've known you for a long time! I can tell when you're just faking it !

"You're so unfair Kao, you stole the guy I like even though you were just going to leave him," I said. Tears started to stream down my face. I knew it was my fault. I should have realized that I liked Kousei since we were kids, instead I pretended that he was just my kid brother. 

"I'm so envious of you, I've been friends with him since we were kids, but he doesn't see me as more than a friend. It only took you a day to make him fall for you. You're the reason he can play the piano again; why his life is full of color now. Without you, I would never have admitted to myself that I was in love with him." 

I wiped the tears off my face, and left the flowers I bought in front of her grave. "Thank you, and goodbye," I said, then walked to school. 

As I walking, I saw Nao and called her. While we were walking, I was thinking about how Kousei is. I stopped and asked Nao if she can go check on him for me.

"No way," she replied.

"Y-you're so heartless," I said to her.

"If you want to find out how he's doing, then just go check on him," she replied.

"B-but I don't know what to do. Ever since Kao passed, he's been so depressed. I'm trying everything I can do to make him smile, but it just has no effect on him!" I said.

"You idiot! Just be true to yourself. You don't have to do anything special, just do what you can and I'm sure he'll appreciate it" she replied.

"You're right, I'll try my best later!" I replied.

After school ended, I started to look for Kousei. I already knew what to say to him, but I could not find him. I looked at the music room, the park, the bridge, etc., but still no sign of him. Where the hell are you!?  When I got to the railway where we tried to outrun the train, I saw him standing there, just staring into space. I tried my best to act cool as I walk towards him.

"Yo!" I said.

"Yo. Uh... Um... Uh," he said as I was walking towards him.

I kicked him hard in the shin. 

"What the hell do you think your doing?!" He yelled.

I pointed my finger at him and said "Don't you dare think that you can ever be alone, Kousei! I'm gonna stay with you forever and ever, like a guardian angel! So get used to it!" I said to him. I can't believe I was able to say something so embarrassing! I feel like my heart is about to explode!

He stared at me at first, and I was staring at him, waiting for him to do or say something. After awhile I think he was able to process what just happened. I was expecting him to laugh it off or something, but he just smiled, like he was happy to hear me say that. Deep down I was happy to see him smile again. I wonder what's going to happen next? Who knows. All I know is  that a new spring begins.