Chapter 1

A/N:  Another story :D  One of my favourites, actually.  I started writing this months ago, but forgot about it when I started on An Arrogator's Mate and Elusive Mate.  This isn't a werewolf story, though, despite the "Mate" in the story's title.  This story is a little different and was inspired by a vivid dream - a cave under water, a humanoid being who breathes water and kidnaps a heroine...

Okay *clears throat*  I hope you like it.  I didn't want to reveal too much in the description, because I like to keep my readers in the dark  for a while, for dramatic effect and all that, lol.

Happy reading!

Chapter 1

He was still sleeping.  Thankfully!  I didn’t know what I would’ve done or said if he’d woken up to find me glowing like this.

“Damn,” I mumbled softly, jerking my jeans’ button in place.  The denim was scratchy, irritating the sensitive skin of my legs, and I craved the feel of Encante’s warm presence embracing them instead.

Searching the room for my t-shirt, I spotted it folded neatly on a chair, and with some atypical stumbling, I snatched it up while trying to keep the sheet from revealing my naked breasts.  It didn’t make sense after last night – and so far every night – but I felt too exposed Ashore, conspicuous to too many air-breathing males.  And while I subsisted on men’s desire, it didn’t mean I had to like it.

Still, even though there couldn’t possibly be anyone witnessing my abnormal appearance, I felt eyes follow my jerky attempt at pulling my head through the narrow collar of the uncomfortable, baggy shirt.

Stop being obnoxious, I thought to myself.  You’ve been paranoid for so long, you should be used to it.

I sighed with relief when the material settled against my body, and then looked at my exposed arms with mourning puzzlement.  The bronze skin was damp with perspiration, a tempting aroma for the male species.  From deep within the pores of my skin, a radiance of amber gold exuded from the surface of my body, coinciding with the song of energy pulsing through my body.

In the darkness of the room, I must’ve looked like a damn beacon screaming to come sacrifice me for “the safety of humanity and nature.”

Scowling, I did a quick search for my shoes and found them under the bed.  Still on my knees, I peeked over the mattress at the man tangled deliciously in the floral sheets, his face pressed into the pillow propped up with a bended arm, his mouth agape in dreams.  He had quite handsome with classic features, the sharp lines softened by a brush of stubble along his jaw.  It gave him a kind of roguish look, which was why he’d drawn me in the first place.

The long, black strands of dyed hair hung in his face, hiding those startling hazel eyes.  Not a bad choice for prey, I had to admit.  Maybe too good, though.

I didn’t even know his name, but this man had had more sexual desire for a woman than I’d  expected.  I was an incandescent predator as a result, modelling its inability at stealth.  He’d given me more than enough to feed from to last me the week, and while it boosted the risks a hundredfold, I couldn’t mistake the advantage.  I could’ve gone without the evidence of my meal, but now I didn’t have to make stops like this along the way.

Blinking out of my thoughts, I stood up and slipped my feet into the low-heeled sandals and tried to remember if he’d worn a jacket the night before.  My eyes narrowed on his black button-up shirt.  It had long sleeves and would probably make me look strange, but it would have to do.

I pulled it on, and had to roll up the sleeves so that my hands weren’t totally swallowed by them.  I was careful to let it cover most of my skin, though.  The black material helped, but it was thin, and some of my radiance peeked through.