~Three

Celine 

A wave of terror shot all over me and the mystery man wraps his arms around me. Using the strength I have left, I elbow the man's stomach. Hearing a grunt of pain come out of him, I bolt, destination locked on getting home.

Why was this man chasing me? I don't see why he would want me, but all I know is that it's not good whatsoever. Did he want to rape me, kill me? I don't get it and I just pray that I am imagining all this.

My legs dragged on and other footsteps followed in its place. "Come on she's getting away!" My eyes go wide, more of them. And they are all targeting me.

Not understanding how I'm not tired yet, but grateful that I have this wicked speed on my side, I rip through the streets that follow, feeling the closeness of my house and the feeling of tears staining my cheeks as I hold in sobs. Breath staggering and steps of the unknown getting closer, I get shoved to the ground and darkness invites me in.

***

When I open my eyes again I automatically feel the restraints on my arms and legs. Tied to a chair in a dark room with only a table lamp, I gulp some air down my throat hoping this is a dream and maybe a prank. Hoping that my mom or brother will come and tell me it's okay. But I'm stronger than all that, and I know how to keep a straight face.

A door opens and blood rushes to my head. Stay calm, stay calm. It will all be okay. I repeat in my head as the silhouette gets closer to me.

"Well, well, well. Looks like you put up quite a fight Ms. Vazquez. You almost out ran my very well trained men. But 'almost' doesn't get a succeeding score now does it." The man chuckles and takes a seat, lamp shining on only his face. I keep my head down. He knows my name, and that frightens me.

"Now I'm sure you have many questions, and you probably hate me. But I'm gonna change that, Celine. I'm here to tell you the truth in who you are and why I need your help. We aren't here to hurt you."

I snort. "So you're here to restrain me? Ah it's all crystal clear now. Great first impression." My sarcasm makes him flinch, but he goes on.

"Now, now. Patience. I seriously don't want to hurt you, I need your help, as I said. You see, you're special." I cut him off with another retort. "Listen, I have my mom to tell me all that bullshit about me being special and all, so I don't need to you tell me I'm special, thank you very much."

He bangs his hand on the table, making a thud echo in the solitary room. "Shut it, Celine. Damn your stubbornness." I look him in the eye, shadow covering parts of him. Maybe if he says what he wants to say he'll let me go. I don't speak.

He clears his throat. "Now, since you are starting to realize how important this is I'm going to make it even clearer. This is no joke. Please, listen to what I have to say, for this is gravely imperative." I sigh and wait for him to continue.

I see the smile creep on his face and he starts his spiel. "My name is Carter Blackwell, and this place is my creation, my corporation. The Variant Inc. where we test Differents, or as we call them, Variants. And you Celine, are a one of a kind Different."

My head was spinning. Was this a joke? What the hell is a Variant? "Okay, now this is starting to sound like a sci-fi movie." I tell him dead in the eyes, but Carter chooses to ignore my comment.

"A Variant is a newly human species that are born with genetic functions like found in sci-fi movies indeed, but are now becoming a reality. We have tested all that can be tested in labs and have come to many theories. Medicines, GMOs or intense experiences that go along with being a more developed country. We don't even know how it got passed on through reproduction, but it's real. People volunteer to be tested to get further answers, but we find some are far more, special, than others. And that's where you come in." His deep voices echoes in my ears and I take in another breath.