Rivendell

Journey's End

Chapter Seven

Rivendell

-

We were making camp under three statues of trolls - the ones Bilbo fought. 

"Look Frodo! It's Mr. Bilbo's trolls!" Sam was leaning over Frodo. I was sitting with my back against one of the trolls, deep in my own thoughts. 

"He's going cold!"

"Is he going to die?" Pippin asked Strider. I stared at Pippin with an angry look.

"He's passing into the Shadow world. He'll soon become a wraith, like them."

Well that makes me much happier.

All-too-familiar screeches echoed around the forest as Frodo gasped for air. 

"They're close."

Thanks for stating the obvious, Merry.

People talked, but I payed no attention, until a blinding white light iluminated our camp, and an elf walked swiftly in. She slowly walked to Frodo, speaking as she did. The elvish she spoke, I knew.

"Frodo Im Arwen. (I am Arwen) Telin le thaed. (I have come to help you.) Lasto beht nin. (Hear my voice.) Tolo dan na galad. (Come back to the light.)"

Nothing happened.

"Who is she?" Merry whispered.

"Frodo." The elf said.

"She's an elf." Sam gasped in awe. 

"He's fading." She told Strider. She pulled back his shirt, but did not react in any way. 

"He's not going to last. We must get him to my father." She carried on.

Strider picked him up, and put him on her horse.

"I've been looking for you for two days. There are five wraiths behind you. Where the other four are, I do not know."

"Dartho guin perian. Rych le ad tolthathon." Strider told her.

"What are you saying?" Pippin asked. 

"Stay with the hobbits. I will send horses back for you." I told them, not taking my eyes off Frodo.

The hobbits stared at me. 

"Hon mabathon. Rochon ellint im." The woman told Strider, not listening to any of us.

"I'm the faster rider. I'll take him." I translated.

"Andelu i ven." Aragorn said, shaking his head.

"The road is too dangerous." I said.

"Frodo fir. Ae Athradon i hir, tur gwaith nin beriatha hon." She replied. Then she paused, and stared at him. "I do not fear them."

"Frodo is dying." I told them, choking up. "If I can get across the river, the power of my people will protect him."

Strider took hold of the woman's hand and squeezed it.

"Be iest lin." 

"As you wish." I whispered.

The woman mounted her horse, taking hold of the reins.

"Ride hard. Don't look back." He told her.

"Noro lim, Asfaloth, noro lim!" She said to her horse, and rode off. (Ride fast, Asfaloth, ride fast!)