{{ 18 }}

Meghan's POV

"Oh my!" I clapped my hand over my mouth. "I'm so sorry, Professor, I, er - didn't know it was your office."

Snape curled his lip and gave us a deathly stare.

"I'm used to you, Miss Grant. But," he said curtly, looking over to Cedric. "Mr. Diggory, however, I am very surprised at you. You are, I believe, a prefect?"

I smirked a little; it was probably Cedric's first time getting into trouble. What a git.

"My apologies, Professor," said Cedric in a shaky voice, "It was dark. If I had known it was your office, sir, I would not have come in."

"Ah," said Snape, clearly unconvinced. "And Miss Grant, might I ask what business you have in my office?"

"I don't have any business in your office!" I said. Snape glared at me. "I mean, I don't have any business in your office, sir! I just needed to be alone, so I came in here. The door was open, so I-"

"The door was open?" interrupted Snape.

"Yes, sir," I said quietly.

"Very well," he said curtly. "You both have detention on Monday evening, and 50 points will be taken from Hufflepuff."

I couldn't care less about Hufflepuff losing points. It's not like we had a chance at winning, anyway. Cedric, however, looked crestfallen.

"Yes, sir," he said. I noticed his hands were trembling a bit.

"I do hope," said Snape boredly, "that in the future, you take your teenage conflicts elsewhere, and don't wander into every room that you find open!"

I nodded. Snape gave us both a look that told us to leave, which we did.

I didn't speak to Cedric. I didn't even walk next to him. I quickened my pace and 'accidentally' kicked him in the face when we were crawling through the barrel into the common room.

When we entered the common room, the conversation ceased. Had they all been sitting there, waiting for us to return? Some people just don't have lives...

I looked around, fully aware of my pounding heart. It nerved me when people stared. I didn't like it at all.

I shook my head at them and walked towards my dormitory, but someone caught me by the hand and swung me around.

Summers.

"What the-" I said.

He leaned forward and kissed me. Not just a kiss, but a real, hard snog. I used my good hand to try and push him away but he had a firm grasp on me. I started punching him everywhere I could reach. He didn't stop. It was awful, it was nightmarish. I kicked him in the shin, and someone pulled him off of me.

"What the hell was that for?" I glared at him, wiping his disgusting DNA on my sleeve.

Summers turned red from embarrassment and made a beeline to his dormitory. I looked and saw that it was Cedric who had pulled him from me.

"Thanks," I said quietly.

Cedric nodded. He was definitely still hurt. His head was low and he walked off in the same direction as Summers.

"Whoa now!" yelled Payton, emerging from behind a potted plant. "There's a little something I need to do."

Cedric stopped and looked at her. She was charging right at him. He panicked, but it was too late.

BAM

Payton gave him a nice punch in the nose.

Cedric flinched at the pain, but said nothing.

"Episkey," he muttered, pointing his wand to his broken nose. He trudged into his dormitory.

The gazes faded from Cedric and turned back to me.

"I'm going to go eat," I announced to the room before leaving quickly. Payton and Maci followed close behind me.

Neither of them spoke until we had reached the Great Hall; I was very grateful for that.

"I don't want to talk about it," I told them, when we had sat down. "Not tonight."

They both nodded. I realized I wasn't hungry, but it didn't matter. I wasn't ready to go back to the common room just yet. I decided that, after all, it was good to talk.

"I'm overreacting," I said quietly.

"No you're not," said Maci.

"I shouldn't have been so rude."

"You had every right to say what you said!" said Payton.

"He could've explained."

"There was nothing to explain," said Maci.

"A traitor's a traitor," said Payton.

"Why do I feel so guilty?" I asked.

Neither of them had an answer.

"If he loves you," said Payton finally, "he'll take you back. You know, 'If you love something, Set it free... If it comes back, it's yours, If it doesn't, it never was yours....' Well, you'll just have to wait and see if he was yours. He'd be foolish not to take you back. I don't think him and 'The Chang' were meant to be."

Maci nodded in agreement.

"Besides," she said, "he's a jerk, who thinks he's amazing but he really sucks. You didn't know that, but now you learned. But you've learned that you're stronger than him. And honestly better than him. He doesn't deserve to even look at you. You deserve someone who can actually love you."

"He did love me," I said quietly.

"Yeah," said Payton impatiently, "he loved you so much that he let you go."

Payton looked at me quizzically and stood up.

"By the way," she said with a smirk. "You may have a detention buddy. 'Cause I swear, the next time I see Chang, I'm gonna slap that witch till she bleeds."

I grinned at her and she left the hall.

Just my luck, Cedric came in the hall as she was leaving. I snorted as I watched Payton glare at him and make a punching gesture when she was behind him.

Cedric's eyes met mine, and I looked away quickly.

"Let's pretend like you couldn't be happier," whispered Maci.

I faked a too-loud-to-be-real laugh, and smirked in his direction.

"Oh, Maci," I kidded. "You're hysterical!"

"And, and then," she said, laughing at our joke. "I said to the goblin, 'Of course I have the key to my vault you idiot!'"

We both erupted with laughter, mostly directed towards Maci's dreadful punch-line.

I looked over at Cedric, and I pitied him. If we were still together, we both would have been laughing at a lame joke Maci would tell. We would be preparing for the next task, resume our training sessions and spend our free time together.

The second task. I was scared for him. Dragons were first, who knew what could be next? He could die.

I shuddered at the thought.

Then and there I realized something...

I couldn't stand the thought of living without him.