Chapter Six

Chapter Six 

Philips was at home when they came to arrest him. He was polishing his latest purchase, a percussion cap pistol from the mid nineteenth century. The sight of the weapon brought Inspector Martin up short; he had not thought to apply to bring a gun with him to arrest the writer. "Put that thing down very slowly on the table," he ordered. 

"It's not loaded, Inspector," smiled Philips with a touch of malice as he obeyed. "You're quite safe." 

"Never mind that. Richard Peter Philips, I have a warrant here for your arrest on the charge of first degree murder. I have to warn you that anything you say may be taken down in evidence and used at your trial. You are entitled to remain silent and to have a solicitor present at all interviews." Martin finished speaking while a constable stood by expectantly, in case I make a run for it thought Philips sardonically. He could hardly believe it was happening, everything had happened so fast, arrested only two days after the crime. He needed time to think. 

"Where's Harper?" he stalled. 

"He resigned from the case. He said you might be right about him trying to punish you?" Martin answered with scarcely veiled curiosity. So, Harper was bailing out was he? The thought struck a chill into his heart. He could see by the Inspector's attitude that he at least was convinced of his guilt, and the damaging evidence and testimony flashed through his mind. He'd been seen at the crime scene at the right time, he'd left fingerprints in her bedroom, by his own admission the girl had been dead when he left and he had lied to the police. Not to mention he had a supposedly strong motive of frustrated passion. 

Martin was watching him suspiciously, "Come on; let's go." 

Philips flung off his restraining hand and stalked out of the flat ahead of them. He didn't wait as the constable shut and locked the door of his flat but pressed the button for the lift. The floor numbers flashed green above his head, and then suddenly the doors opened in front of him. He looked around impatiently as if waiting for the constable who was still at his door. The lift started to close while the policeman was more than ten feet away and Philips jabbed his elbow violently into Martin's stomach and squeezed himself between the closing doors of the lift. The Inspector doubled up in agony outside in the corridor. By the time the constable reached him, the lift had already started to descend. 

"The stairs!" gasped Martin. The constable raced for the staircase but even taking the steps three at a time, there was no sign of Philips when he reached the ground floor. 

Feeling almost relaxed now that the die was cast, Philips walked casually but briskly out of the building, crossed the street, turned the corner and found himself on a busy road where he knew there was a taxi stand. "The airport, please," he stated clearly, but as soon as he was inside the taxi he apologised. "Sorry I don't know what I was thinking, I meant Central Station." The taxi driver shook his head at the stupidity of passengers and did a U turn. 

Meanwhile Inspector Martin had joined the constable in front of Philips' apartment building. He sent him off to scout around on the off chance their quarry was still in the vicinity, while he rang headquarters and to request an APB on Philips. "The man is Richard Peter Philips, age twenty-eight, height six feet, hair brown, eyes blue, wearing grey trousers and a white shirt, clean shaven. He is wanted for the murder of Antonetta Gordon and escaped while resisting arrest. Apprehend with caution." 

Philips paid off the taxi driver in front of the railway station, and then darted over the road to a clothes store. There he bought a dark blue jumper which he put on immediately and a pair of jeans which he carried under one arm. Next he went into the Men's toilets in the station and changed his trousers, combed his hair forwards, giving himself an untidy fringe, then strolled out with his grey trousers in the parcel under his arm. As he was buying his ticket, he bought a day pass so it wouldn't reveal his destination if checked, he saw a couple of policemen coming down the ramp to his left. Were they looking for him already? He glanced around hurriedly and saw a young woman with a large pram heading towards his gate. He stepped up to her with a polite smile.