One

My mother always told me that every time dawn approached it was a new days. Things would get better. No matter what happened in the previous years, months, weeks, days, or hours, we could always move forward. "There is a reason we move forward, Anna, because no one wants to move backwards." It's like a personal motto. Every time I think about bringing up an old issue when one of the villagers makes me angry, like Tom, the nasty grain field owner with crooked yellow teeth, I remember what my mother said. I force a tight smile, give the most sincere appreciation I can falsify, and I continue back to my dwelling.

My home is not made of much. Wood mostly. Wood that smells always like rain, especially after it rains and the sun bakes against the wood. I cannot risk cooking food in the house on hot days like that. I almost set our home on fire two years ago, or so I think.

But today is not one of those hot, scorching summer days. It is actually quite calm. I can already hear Mr. Snark's children laughing and snorting outside like their pigs, although sometimes, it's hard to tell the difference between the children and the animals. The youngest of their children, and the nicest, is Olga, a small, five year old girl with ashy blonde hair turned brown from all the dirt her brothers throw at her. Six brothers and the oldest twins are twice her age. I have no idea how she will ever get her hair clean.

The Snark's actually live only two doors down which is convenient for me, only because that is where I buy the bread. They are the only small bakery in the village of Orion.

Mrs. Snark is actually a very pleasant woman. She is pudgy, with crooked teeth and clothes that no matter how many times she washes them are still stained with grain. She has naturally red hair, and her husband has naturally blonde, something that all of their children have inherited (besides the nasty attitude from her husband).

"Anna! Wonderful." She looks so delighted to see me. Maybe because she hasn't had a customer in a few weeks or maybe because I took her by surprise since the old Christmas bell that hangs above the doorframe as a store bell doesn't work anymore. It's probably both.

"Hello Mrs. Stark." I have enough coins in my deep nice dress pockets to weigh me down to the floor. If I saved up another week, I could buy a farm animal. Of course, that is a six hour walking journey in itself and I do not want to waste any more funds that I have to.

"Have you come for some bread?" She tilts her head to the side enough that one of her eyes looks glassy compared to the other. She drums her fingers against the kitchen table. They do not have a bakery shop, as not many small businesses have. They usually operate from home. Mrs. Widdleworth makes my clothes down the street. She often does a wonderful job, and lately I have been behind payment. She assures me it is alright, but I have enough money to pay her back after I am done here.

"Yes please."

"How many loaves would you like today dear?"

Usually I only buy one because it is all that I need. But I have more than enough coins from the long hours. After a few seconds, I really begin to feel the lasting effects of my aching muscles.

"Two." I hand her four small silver pieces and she grins with delight and shoves the bread at me. My hand draws back to the counter and I slide a small bronze coin. It's only worth half of the silver. She comes around from the other side of the table and hugs me tightly.

"Thank you Anna."

Before she can coax me into buying anything else, I walk out the door and shut it so quickly the bell actually works. I can see her pudgy figure waving at me from the window and yelling at me to come back soon, as if I had another choice.