Chapter 8

"To the best upcoming artist!" Frank, my boss, was in a delirium as he was giving a toast to wrapping up an album. We all drank the champagne and celebrated. Shannon, a newcomer to the industry, was incredibly talented and I was happy for her. And me too, to be honest. We've been working on her album for months... Music was blasting and everyone was dancing and having a good time. For Shannon, this might be the last free night for a while, since she's starting to do all the promo-work tomorrow.

I invited Hailey to come over to the label as well, since she offered to help with the promo for Shannon. It wasn't her field, but she said she knew all kinds of writers and had a few connections at different papers. At this point, any media presence is good. I introduced her to everyone and showed her around.

"Wow, everyone is so nice and this place is great! You made always made it sound like you work at some tiny old office! This is impressive!" Hailey said to me. "Well, it's a small label and I don't wanna make it sound like a luxurious job, 'cause it really isn't! " I responded. The whole label space, including the studio wasn't that big, but I guess I exaggerated a little when describing it. We mingled for a bit and danced, but Hailey had to go soon. She had work early in the morning.

"I wish I could had stay longer, seems like you're gonna party 'till the morning!" She said. "We might, this is pretty big for us. She's our biggest talent so far! Did you exchange numbers with everyone?" I asked. "Yeah. I have to go now, but we'll talk tomorrow." She gave me a peck on the cheek and left. And the rest of us... We ended up partying until 4 AM.

We all went back to work for the rest of the week. I am not going to complain about how busy we all were. Within a few days, calls started to come in regarding Shannon and the hype just kept building up. I wouldn't get home from work until 9 PM every night. Will would call me around that time to chat, since I couldn't find time to see him. Yes, things with him progressed quite a bit since that date when I met his friends and slept over at his place. I started to feel really comfortable around him. It, or he, felt safe. He wasn't pushy or demanding. He understood me, supported me and cheered me on. Every time I had to tell him I'm too busy to see him, I thought he would get mad. Instead, he would tell me not to worry. He was happy just talking to me.

I wanted to return the gesture, so I arranged a nice evening for his and my friends- Adam and Mike-Will's friends, Hailey, Nina and Jackie. Friday night we met up at that pub they always hang out at. Jackie bought us shots and ever since then, she wouldn't shut up. She was making us all laugh though, with her witty comments, jokes and funny stories. Nina was having a weird grind on her face the whole time.

"What's up with you?" I asked her as I leaned in so no one else could hear us. "Umm... Adam and I are exchanging looks the whole time. " She replied and looked in Adams, one of Wills friends direction. "Oh, I see. Okay, carry on" I said and winked at her. And so she did. But I knew Nina and I knew that nothing more would happen between her and Adam that night. She's a bit slow when it comes to hooking up with a guy. She is more of a relationship person and one night stands were not her cup of tea.

Everyone seemed to have a good time, except for Hailey. She was talking, laughing and all, but I knew something was a little off. I also knew she wouldn't admit that. So I didn't ask. But then, just before midnight she approached me and said she's going home. It was too loud to talk so I pointed to the exit. I told Jackie we're just going outside for a minute to catch some air.

"So, what's up?" I asked her directly. A fake smile instantly appeared on her face. "Nothing, no, everything's fine. The guy's are great and Will seems like a super-nice guy. I just had tough week and could really use some rest. That's all."

For a few seconds I just studied her face. She put her hand on my arm as if she was trying to convince me she's telling the truth. "Hailey, you know you can talk to me about anything, right? There have been a few nights so far when you said you were tired, but we would still stay up very late. " I looked at her hoping she would be honest with me. I took both of her hands and put them in mine. " I have a feeling something's bothering you, I would just like it if you would tell me what it is." She looked away from my eyes and looked at our hands. I let a few seconds pass by, giving her time to come up with an answer. "Look, it's nothing. Not really. I have a lot on my mind and I'd just like to get some sleep." She said and gave me a reassuring smile. I still wasn't buying it, but I didn't wanna push her even more either. "Okay" I said as I let go of her hands, faking a smile as well. "Talk to you tomorrow?" She asked. I nodded my head as she leaned in and gave me a hug and left.