Then...part 2

Brian Barry watched sickly as his mother dug through the shredded remains of her husbands face to scoop out his brains. Mum had often joked about killing Brian's dad, on nights when he had stumbled home from the local pub, or when he wouldn't shut up about football. Brian and his dad had always laughed when she made her outlandish threats. But neither was laughing now. Brian couldn't understand how the world had changed so abruptly, it had been an ordinary Sunday night. He'd watched some tv, finished his homework just before going to bed, and settled down for a night of sweet dreams before another week of school kicked off. Screams had disturbed his slumber. Brian wasn't a light sleeper, but even the dead were unable to sleep through the uproar in Pallaskenry that night. Brian had thought at first that somebody was throwing a party. But he lived on a quiet stretch of road, his neighbors weren't party animals. Had teenagers driven out from Limerick city to bring noise and chaos to the countryside?. As his head cleared and he turned on the light in his bedroom, he quickly realised that this was no party, the screams were genuine roars of terror. Looking out of his window he spotted some of his neighbors running, shreiking, fighting. He watched awestruck as Mrs. Shanahan stabbed one of her sons in the chest with a long, sharp knife then staggered away, keening sharply. The stabbed son should have died instantly as the knife had pierced his heart. But to Brian's astonishment he yanked out the knife, tossed it aside then fell upon his mother with a bloodthirsty howl.

...to be continued...