Chapter 24

Sadie’s P.O.V

It took me longer than anyone else to realize what had just happened.

But when Soda leaped to his feet, cheering loudly beside me, I realized she was safe at home.

The pure excitement that filled up inside of me spread warmth throughout my entirety and a happiness that satisfied my nerves.

Once everyone made up their minds to be happy that Rosey won, the crowd had erupted in a mass of joy.

Once the crowds were clearing out, all of us started to leave too.

I knew Johnny was staying behind, so he could wait for Rosey.

The rest of us began walking back, Soda and I farther behind side by side.

I was thinking about baseball, and how fucked up the rules were and I was wondering why it was so god damn complicated, when suddenly Soda stopped, dropping my hand.

I turned around shaken from my thoughts.

I stared at him confused.

“I’m in love with you,” he said quietly.

“Soda,” I said.

“I am,” his eyes sparkled a shade of impossible brown.

He was staring at me, and his jaw line tensed.

“I’m not going to deny that I’m completely in love with you, and I know it’ll be complicated and there will be hurdles to jump, and I can’t always please you, but I am in love with you and I’m hoping to God you’re in love with me too.”

“Soda,” I said again, because I didn’t know what else to say.

And then I kissed him because there was no way I could’ve returned the favour in any better way. I felt him smiling in the kiss and I knew we had to stop encase Rosey or Johnny were to appear.

I pulled away even though I really didn’t want to.

And then we were walking again, and I was wondering how anything could ruin my mood now.

Rosemarie’s P.O.V

I read the day as fiction rather than fact because I still couldn’t fathom that I had won the baseball game for my team.

My team welcomed me to the group quickly and treated me as an equal.

They congratulated me, and I thanked them, deciding I wanted to leave as soon as possible.

I quickly hurried towards the exit, precisely where Johnny said he’d meet me.

He was alone, not facing me, somewhat hunched over. But I could tell it was him.

I smirked, running over and grabbing him from behind.

He basically jumped out of his skin, his breathing became shallow, but he didn’t even smile when he saw me.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, confused by the sudden anger in his eyes.

He didn’t speak.

“Johnny?” I repeated, slightly concerned.

Nothing.

“Whatever it is you know you can-“

“They were kissing,” he interjected, such bitterness in his voice it startled me.

“What?” I asked incredulously.

Johnny’s chest rose and fell in lurches, his breathing uneven.