2// Raмen rυмвle

The sun was setting making oranges, pinks, and yellows splash across the sky as leaves fall sadly off the barren trees surrounding us in similar hues. The sharp, crisp air blew softly, rustling the leaves and blowing my hair askew. Massacre, blood, and screams lingered in the dusky ambience.

I turned my head back after I heard leaves crunching under Miles' boot. I swear the oaf was going to give away our position to every friend or foe in a one-mile radius.        Behind him, the bunker, which we had just escaped from, was a dark, ancient structure jutting out of the ground.

"So what now?" Miles asked, accidentally stepping in a large puddle and splashing himself. The bottom half of his jeans were completely soaked with muddy water. He groaned and started unbuttoning the top of his jeans.

"Whoa, what the hell are you doing?" I asked, casting him a weird look. I constantly wondered why we were best friends, before I remembered how great the idiot could be. Sometimes.

"Changing, I'm not walking around with wet jeans. Plus I saw a pair of nice sweatpants on one of the bodies inside." He explained, taking off the rest of his jeans to reveal his Scooby Doo boxers.

"Couldn't you have done that inside the building?" I pointed out, stifling my laugh.

"I really hate wet things okay," He grumbled, "Don't hate on the boxers Jade Gaskarth,"

"I'm not" I laughed loudly this time, taking his words the wrong way.

Miles shook his head and started trudging back towards the bunker, jeans in hand.

He turned around with a smirk plastered across his face, "Unless you want to join me?"

"No you idjit, go get changed," I chuckled and shook my head, chucking a large stick towards him.

Miles laughed and ducked out of the way easily. He was halfway back before he tripped over a branch and sprawled across the leaf-covered ground.

"I'm okay," He mumbled with a face full of dirt. He groaned and lay there not giving any indication he was going to move anytime soon.

Suddenly, Miles scrambled to his feet with an alert look on his face. "Sweetheart, did you hear that?" He asked, slowly walk towards me with a concerned look on his face.

"Hear what?" I whispered looking around at the woods alert and clutching my spear tightly.

"I heard shuffling..." Miles trailed off and walked towards a redwood tree, a weapon in one hand and his jeans in the other.

I quietly followed him, scanning the trees carefully. Miles had exceptional hearing, Obliques, which we both were, had better hearing than normal humans, but    Miles's gift lay in enhanced senses and building. While mine lay in fire, air, and healing. Traits were passed down from generations of your family and the Gaskarth's specialized in elements and toxins.

All Oblique's had a gift or "enhancers" of some sort, The Families with stronger gifts tended to be on the council, like mine. Gifts varied from being to fall asleep at will anytime anyplace to stopping someone's heart with a snap of a finger.

Leaves crunched off the right of us by a tall oak tree. The air in the forest stilled as I slinked closer, keeping my heartbeat level. My eyes scanned the around fearlessly, stepping closer and closer slowly. Miles clutched onto his weapon tightly, his face stone hard as he scanned the surrounding area for life. Who else could be alive? Another Oblique? A Human? An Animal? A twig snapped pierced the tension, a quiet sound of "Shit" followed soon after.