The Empty Child

AN: Happy Birthday Terra! Okay, really I'm a day late, but I got it really close this time!
==CON==

The TARDIS made a hard jerk to the side.

I was barely managed to grab hold to the console before we veered again. The Doctor was furiously trying to keep us balanced, while also on course behind the Chula ambulance.

I had been excited the past week, since I looked inside Pops' homebox. It felt like I could actually smile without it being forced. I had been scared for decades that Pops had just let me go, that he didn't search the globe (or even the island) for me. To see prove that he did, that my father had looked before crashing in Russia, lifted my spirits.

Now there was just the issues of where he was now, and what to tell Darcy.

"What's the emergency?" Rose asked, keeping a tight hold of the console.

"It's mauve." The Doctor stated. He continued flipping switches, trying to keep us behind the ambulance.

Rose turned to me. "Mauve?"

"The universally recognized color for danger." I supplied. The TARDIS jerked to the side again. "He gave a whole speech about it last week."

Her face scrunched up in confusion. "What happened to red?" She asked our friend
The Doctor "That's just humans. By everyone else's standards, red's camp. Oh, the misunderstandings. All those red alerts, all that dancing. It's got a very basic flight computer. I've hacked in, slaved the TARDIS. Where it goes, we go."

I gave him a deadpan stare. "And that's safe, right?"

"Totally."

*BANG*

"Could you repeat that?!" I hissed.

The Doctor grimaced. "Okay, reasonably. Should have said reasonably there. No, no, no, no! It's jumping time tracks, getting away from us."

"What exactly is this thing?" I asked tiredly.

"No idea." Was his reply.

Rose and I were on the same page. "Then why are we chasing it?" She snapped.

"It's mauve and dangerous, and about thirty seconds from the centre of London." He supplied.

That shut Rose and I up.

==CON==

The Doctor landed the TARDIS, albeit still as bumpy as he flew it. Rose stumbled out first, me just behind.

"Do you know how long you can knock around space without happening to bump into Earth?" The Doctor asked as he stepped off the TARDIS.

"On average five days." I answered dutifully.

"Or is that just when we're out of milk?" Rose joked.

The Doctor snorted. "Of all the species in all the Universe and it has to come out of a cow."

"My head's still spinning from the landing." I admitted, pressing my palm against my forehead. "The Time Sense hasn't kicked in yet.

"Does that sometimes. The TARDIS was tracking that thing, whatever it was. Might've messed with your head a bit. It'll work in a few minutes." Magoo explained, scanning the alleyway for the ambulance. "Must have come down somewhere quite close. Within a mile, anyway. And it can't have been more than a few weeks ago. Maybe a month."

"A month? We were right behind it." She turned to me with a 'did he really do this to us again?' face.

"It was jumping time tracks all over the place. We're bound to be a little bit out." The Doctor excused. "Do you want to drive?"