Chp. 23: Black Rose

"Do you see that?" Francis says, squinting his eyes, looking out the window. "A coach," 

"Wait," Rosaline jumps up. "Is that Kendall?" 

The family huddles around the window, watching the coach pull up to their estate. A young lady steps out with a small suitcase in her hand. 

"It is!" 

They hurry toward the door where Kendall sheepishly walks in. 

"Kendall Grace Sullivan!" Anne scolds. "Where the devil have you been?" 

"I am so sorry, everyone, I just needed time to be away from all the chaos,"

"I am so happy you are safe," Anne hugs her. 

"Where on earth did you go?" Anthony asks. 

"The plantation," 

"You were alone?" 

"Yes," She looks at her bag. "I must put my things away--" 

"Do not worry about it, Helena!" Anne calls the maid, who grabs Kendall's suitcase. "Now, how about a proper breakfast?" 

"That sounds lovely," 

Kendall ate breakfast in silence, alone, since everyone had already eaten that day. She watched the family bustle about for their day, exactly the business she wanted to avoid. 

"Want to go talk?" Anthony says. 

"Sure," 

The two went out into the garden. They walked a bit in silence, and Kendall was fearful of what he would say. 

"Are you doubting your decision to marry Eric?" 

"No, of course not," 

"Then why would you disappear?" 

"You know me, Anthony." 

"You don't do those sort of things anymore," He says. "You act and think like an adult," 

"Is a woman not allowed an adventure before her wedding?" 

"Your marriage should be an adventure," 

"It would have been," She says quietly. "It is, okay?" 

"I just worry about you," 

"Anthony Higgins, for once, will you please not worry so much about me? Worry about yourself, or for Rosaline, people you are responsible for. I am twenty, not fifteen, you aren't held accountable for me anymore." 

"A friend can be concerned for his friend, can't he?" 

"I am not saying that, but you are treating me like a child! I am a grown woman, you must let me make my own decisions," 

"Alright, alright. How was your vacation?" 

"Uneventful," She says, looking at the ground. "Like I wanted," 

"I'm glad," 

"Well, if you'll excuse me," 

"What happened to us?" 

"I beg your pardon," 

"We used to have fun, Kendall. We would go to the tracks, go betting behind Francis' back, throw fruit at Weasel's house," 

"We grew up, Race." 

She gave him a half smile before going back into the manor. 

<>