Radio

LOU'S POV:

"Baby love me cause I'm playing on the radio, how do you like me now?

American dreams came true somehow, I swore I'd chase until I was dead

I heard the streets were paved with gold, that's what my father said

No-one even knows what life was like, now I'm in LA and it's Paradise"

"I'm going to murder that pretty boy I swear to god."

"I can't believe you didn't tell me any of this before!" Vince exclaims, still sounding outraged. "I mean, what are best friends for if they don't rant to you about their hot hook-ups. With you know, world-famous rockstars I would pay to even get a taste of."

"Vince!"

"What? He's hot."

"I know he is," I groan. "Trust me, I know."

"Is he very, you know...?"

"Vince, don't go there. Don't even think of going there," I say in a warming tone. And then, a few seconds later: "Yes, he is very."

"I knew it. Damn, you lucky bitch."

"Ugh, talk about lucky when he's all parading his sexiness around you and you've gotta keep yourself in check because if you make even the slightest wrong move he's on you. Literally."

"I would be doing all the wrong moves," Vince says dreamily, and I choke down a laugh.

"Vince! You're not helping here!"

"Hahaha, sorry. The sexual tension must be terrible, poor other guys."

"Meh, it's not like they spend their nights alone either."

And it's true. In the few days I've spent in the duplex (okay just to be clear I still have my apartment because there is no way I'm letting go of that jewel, but when management says something...), I've been witness to more walk-of-shames than I've ever encountered before. I can hear them leave at around 2am, when I'm still browsing Tumblr or blankly staring at my window (the view is amazing by the way), searching for inspiration. I'm not saying the guys aren't working, because on the contrary they spend most of their days at the studio. It's just that they have their fun at night too.

And Luke is the first to do so. In a way I'm feeling smug because I was totally right about him not being able to stick with one person, but on the other hand I can't help but feel jealous of the girls he's with. Which is totally ridiculous, considering he throws them out like dirt. But this only furthers me in my resolution not to give in to what he wants, which I'm guessing is being friends-with-benefits. I'm one hundred percent sure it would be unhealthy for me to be with him, not necessarily because I would develop feelings for him, but he's just not the type of guy I want to have more than a one-night stand with (or two, as it is).

I say my goodbyes with Vince and end the call, instead focusing back on my piece of paper. I woke up this morning with a guitar line in my head and I've been trying to build something around it since, to no avail. It's interesting because whereas the boys are working with a producer and different artists already, I'm more on my own. I know that's a consequence of my demanding independence in my contract, but it also means that I'm sometimes at a loss and don't have anyone to help out when I'm stuck.

"Bleh," I groan and roll off the sofa, falling to the ground with a puff.

By chance, I've faceplanted near the remote we lost yesterday, and I grab it, turning the TV on. It opens on Netflix and I mindlessly browse through potential movies. I don't find anything particularly interesting immediately, so I gather my courage and stand up, heading for the kitchen to fix myself some snacks. I return with a bowl of grapes and salted almonds, plopping back down on the couch.