11 | Kathryn |

The hospital visit was tense and hectic. The whole time Blake had an uneasy look in his eyes, which made me uneasy. This made Jace's normally stoic, hard, face have a look of concern.

My mother was too drugged up on painkillers so I decided against myself to mention anything about the suspect or the baby. I could wait till she got home.

As I sat and talk to my mom through her loop phase, I'd ever so often feel a pair of burning blue eyes stare at me. Jace. It made me nervous when he did this.

Later, around 10:30am, my mother finally dozed off into sleep.

All three of us walk to the parking lot, tense and quietly.

Blake held onto my hand in a friendly way, pulling me toward his car.

Jace scowls and looks at Blake, then down at me, "I'll take her."

"Don't worry, man. I live across the street from her. I'll take her home."

They stare at each other intensely. The air is so tense not even a knife could cut it.

Blake sighs, looking at me, "I don't really care who you go with, I'm going back home." He shakes his head, letting go of my hand and waving a goodbye as he walks to his car.

I look at Jace, glaring, "that was a bit rude."

Jace rolls his eyes, muttering under his breath.

"Take me to school?"

"That's fine by me. Come on, this way."

Jace walks quickly to his car and I struggle to keep up with his long strides. It's not my fault I have short legs.

Jace is upset about something. For some reason it sort of hurts me that I can't figure it out. I'm good at reading people. I have to be good at it. Then why can't I read Jace Anderson?

We arrive to his car, he unlocks it quietly. I sigh as I get in. "Are you done being cranky?"

He gives me a weird look, "I'm not cranky?"

I let out a humorless chuckle and look out the window, "that's why you've barely spoken ten words to me?"

He stares at the road after backing out, "I'm just trying to figure you out, Hallie."

I tense up, "there's nothing to figure out, Jace."

"Your alarmed demeanor says different, sweetheart." He smirks, pulling into the school parking lot.

We're at school already? I can't spend anymore time with Jace alone now.

Whoa... Hold your horses there, girl. Where did that come from?

After that crazy thought, I dashed inside the school, entering history just as the tardy bell rings. Well thank god for that.

I move to my usual seat which would be next to Mason. You know, if there wasn't a small blonde girl sitting in my seat. Talking to my friend.

I walk over to Mason, smiling sweetly, cutting off the blonde girl, "hey Mason, who's your friend?" I nudge him and wink, smiling at the girl.

In return, I get a disgusted annoyed look. What did I even do? This is what you get for being nice? No wonder I hate it so much.

Mason gives me a relieved look, wrapping his arm around my waist and pressing his head to my side.

The girl stares for a moment too long. It makes me uneasy.

She introduces herself, rudely, "Hi... You must be new. I'm Mason's friend. His only friend. Who are you?"

I'm stunned. I stutter and look at Mason then at the blondie once more.

She leaves before I can answer.

"Well, you've met Kathryn Cast." Mason mutters miserably. I understand his pain.

I sit in my seat and glare at my hands, "that bitch has it coming."

&&&&&&&

Hey guys,
I'm so so sorry this is both short and very late. Not a lot of people read this but for the people who do, I'm so sorry. I've been busy going to therapy and shit lol plus as senior year comes... Grades start to flush a little ... I'm going to try to write more again. I hope you enjoyed this chapter :)

Xoxo, M