0.5

my whole body is trembling as i clasp my hand over my mouth.

"what?" i breathily say into the phone. this cannot be happening; this is all some surreal dream.

"sophia," the almost familiar voice pleads into the phone. "we're not safe here anymore." he begins to cry, my taped up heart fracturing into small fragments again.

"oh my god." i choke out, my eyes filling with tears of relief yet worry.

for a moment, there's only the sound of our heavy breaths.

"luke." i whisper, my voice cracking as i begin to silently cry.

he sniffles on the other side of the line. "yeah," he says, his voice low and rough. he doesn't sound the same, but of course he won't. it's been so long. "i've missed you so much."

i burst into tears, clutching the phone to my ear. "luke, oh my god." i say, the tears spilling onto my hot cheeks. "where are you? i- i thought you were dead," i manage between my loud sobs. "the police said you were."

"no," he weakly whispers. "there's a lot i need to explain." he says, his tears of relief pouring through the speaker that i can almost taste the salt. "i- i'm in a phone box somewhere. i didn't want to call the police so i called you instead. i needed to hear you voice." he whispers.

"are you coming home?" i ask him.

there's a pause before luke's quivering breath can be heard. "we're not safe here. i'm not safe here, and neither are you. they're coming for both of us."

"what?" i ask, my heart picking up.

"we have to leave," he chokes out. "i let them trust me and now neither of us are safe," he explains. "i- i've been running for what feels like hours until i found the phone box."

i keep crying, the tears slowly spilling onto my jeans.

"don't cry," he weakly pleas with me. "we're going to be okay, i promise you."

is he asking for me to run away? i don't fucking understand. i run a hand through my tangled hair and bury my head in my pillow as i listen to luke.

"i'm going to come to your house," he says. "is your mum in?"

"come here and then you'll be safe," i hurridely say. "i'll call the police and-"

"you're not safe," he anxiously says. "i mean it soph, we need to go away."

"away?" i choke out, my lungs filling with tears. when i think about it, running away with luke may not be the worse idea. i miss him, more than anything.

"yeah, as fast as we can. we just need to go, okay? i'll explain everything," he hurridely speaks. he sounds different, but i know luke is in there somewhere. he's been hidden away for two years - of course he will be different, which causes my chest to ache. "pack a bag. i promise i will be there soon. i lo-"

there's a bleeping on the line as the phone call runs out.

i toss my phone to my bed, the combination of panicked and relieved tears spilling onto my cheeks. as i grab a small rucksack, i know that i have to trust luke. which will be easy, since he has always been the one i can trust with my life.

i throw my drawers open as i begin to carelessly pick out underwear and shirts. i have to be quick; i'm not sure how far away luke is.