prologue

1856

turn it off.

turn it off.

turn it off.

i kept chanting to myself as i lied next to her body. she was my world, my everything. and now, she's dead. the tears were streaming down my face uncontrollably; her cold hand in mine, "now now brother," niklaus had said, as if he were trying to soothe my pain. "she wasn't worth it." he remarked coldly. i furrowed my brows as the rage and anger flowed through my veins. he had the audacity to say that to my face. he insulted my dead girlfriend right then and there when he was the one that caused all of this.

"how dare you say that to me." i deadpanned as i got up on my feet. niklaus smirked, followed by a small chuckle. "oh brother," he sighed and i clenched my fists and jaw, "you're no brother to me. Not after you ruined our family. not after you killed her!" i yelled at him and his smirk disappeared. "nik, kol, stop." rebekah remarked worriedly as she saw us. "oh my god," she gasped when she saw the dead body behind me. tears formed in her eyes as she fell on the ground next to her. "what the hell did you do!?" rebekah shouted, at niklaus in particular.

nik laughed.

he smirked, "oh what do you care? you were always jealous of her anyway. you wanted what she had. she was beautiful, rich, loved, and she had a family." nik listed and smiled as he enjoyed putting my sister and i in pain. "you're a monster, niklaus." rebekah said, her voice shaky from her crying. i clenched my fist to keep myself from fighting my brother. i couldn't beat him anyway, but that doesn't mean i won't try. "don't be foolish rebekah. she didn't mean a thing to you." nik remarked with a cold stare and i could almost feel myself fall apart.

"lindsay was my best friend. she was like the sister I never had. and you, you killed her!" rebekah shouted at nik who of course just laughed at our misery. "kol, i am so sorry about this." rebekah said to me as she gripped my arms and pulled me into a hug. "she loved you very much." my sister whispered into my ear. i loved her more. i wanted to say, but my mouth wouldn't move. i was too sad to even speak. rebekah let go of me and sent me a reassuring smile as tears continued to stream down her face. "niklaus, you are nothing but an animal. you have crossed the line this time. get out of here, or we will." rebekah threatened. i looked at lindsay's corpse on the ground next to the fire. her veins popping out of her skin. her one hand on her stomach, and the stake in her heart.

my heart shattered in to pieces just seeing her like this. the love of my life is gone, dead. and i couldn't do anything about it. "fine, do whatever you want. i don't care. i'll kill you all." niklaus threatened—his serious face on. "you're not going to kill us. we're family, always and forever." rebekah defended. she was right, but this was niklaus we were talking to the special hybrid, the mistake of the universe. he can do whatever he wants in his power and he will do anything he wants. nik scoffed, "you think I can't kill you? watch." he smirked. rebekah and i exchanged confused looks. when niklaus turned around we thought we could run away.

but we were wrong.

he stabbed rebekah with the dagger dipped in white oak tree ash and down she went. it was like watching lindsay's death all over again. "what the hell is wrong with you!? she's your sister!" i yelled at niklaus who seemed to not give a damn about his family. i approached him quickly, anger rushing through my veins — my blood boiling beneath my skin. before i could stick my hand in his chest, i felt a sharp pang right through my heart. my hands were positioned to kill niklaus but he beat me to it. i looked down at my chest as the silver dagger shined before me.

in that moment i felt myself solidifying, and i hadn't felt more betrayed in my life.