004

he wasn't lying.

i could hear his heart beat, it was steady, which meant he was telling the truth. "no," stefan said and raised a finger at damon. "that's impossible. i would've known if we had a sister!" stefan yelled at damon who was surprisingly calm. "hang on a second. how do you know this?" i questioned damon who was pouring himself a glass of whiskey. "because, when I went to hell, i saw my mother. she told me that if i ever got to go back to the living, i needed to promise her to keep her daughter safe." damon elaborated and drank his alcohol. "okay, well if your mom is her mom, why would she erase the memory of you two. i mean, have you met her before?" elena asked the two salvatore brothers. they both shrugged, "unless she got in lara's head and showed her who we are...then erased us from her head before she fled new orleans." stefan concluded. "think about it, it could be true." he added. "what could be true?" lara questioned and we were all taken aback. "lara..." i croaked and she stepped back from me, "no... i went to the kitchen for some unknown reason, like i was mind controlled or something. i need you to tell me what the hell is going on; or i will walk out that door and you will never see me again." she threatened. did I mention that she is so fit? probably did, but that's not the case right now. i couldn't bear to lose that one person who was bringing my humanity back. i was not going to lose her. "okay, okay." i said in defeat as her look softened.

she came closer to me, her heartbeat growing louder and louder. "tell me everything." she demanded and i nodded weakly. i looked at the lads behind me and they all agreed for me to tell her the truth. "we think—" i said but was quickly cut off by damon, "we know." he corrected and i rolled my eyes. "your mother was also their mother." i said to her as i saw the tears forming in her eye. "lily salvatore." stefan said, "she was your mother. and we are your brothers...stepbrothers at least." he added. lara shook her head, "lily..." she repeated and nodded. i took her in my arms as she cried. "that was her name. lily. she is my mother." she said and i stroked her hair. i could feel my humanity coming back just by connecting myself to lara. i felt as if she had the world in her hands and i was the one who wanted to keep her safe. "i'm sorry love," i whispered. she let go of me gently. she wiped her tears away and forced a laugh, "sorry. i didn't quite catch your name." she said to damon in particular. "damon salvatore, but you can call me brother." he said and lara laughed. even when she was crying she was beautiful.

her smile disappeared and was replaced by a worried expression, "why is it i can't remember you both? i mean, i knew you two. mother let me meet you at some point, but i don't remember it." lara asked and all eyes landed on me. lara looked at me. i exchanged looks with the vamps—they want me to compel her to forget she forgot about them. aren't i a tool. i sighed, "you will forget that you forgot about your brothers. they are here with you now, and that's what matters." i remarked. she furrowed her brows and moved back. "why would i want to forget about that?" she questioned and i looked at the three with a confused expression. "the water," elena said. "the entire town has vervain in their water supply." she added. shit. "wervain? what the hell is that?" lara asked and i couldn't help but feel bad for her. which means another part of my humanity is coming back. she knew nothing, but i wanted her to know everything. but if i told her, i'm scared i'd lose her. the lads kept silent so she looked at me for answers, "kol mikaelson. i demand to know what the hell is going on right now." lara said angrily, and the last thing i wanted to do was piss her off. "look lara, it's hard to explain. you're not gonna believe me if i told you." i said and she scoffed. "i trust you Kol. i believe you. always." she reassured. "tell her." damon deadpanned and i nodded. i looked into lara's deep blue eyes, hoping she wouldn't run if I told her the truth. if i told her that i was a monster, that i live with monsters. she will see me as a predator and a demon...i wasn't sure if i could handle that. i only just met lara ivanov but i was right about her, she is not lindsay. she is far more delicate and i did not want to wound her with the truth.

"we are vampires." i said softly and her expression dropped, "am a vampire." i added as i looked down at my shoes, regretting my decision of telling her. i risked everything just to tell her the bloody truth. "kol." she whispered as a tear shed from her eye. she looked around the room as stefan, damon, and elena looked at her with awe. she looked back at me. "prove it." she deadpanned. i looked up at her glowing face, her eyes shining from the tears in them. i screwed my eyes shut as i let my real form appear. i felt the fangs develop on my canines and my eyes shift to a bloodshot red colour. i opened my eyes as lara gasps and jumps back from intense shock. i quickly adjust back to my decent form and she still was a loss for words. i've lost her already. suddenly, she wrapped her arms around my neck and enveloped me into a hug. "i'm sorry." she whispered into my ear.

and in that moment, i knew,

my humanity was back.