Prologue

A/N: I apologize for the flustered appearance of this chapter, I just wanted to get some stuff out of the way here before we start. I would also like to say that this chapter is most likely the coldest, hardest, meanest, violence filled chapter there will most likely be in this fic. Skip this prologue if you must, it has dark themes.

Thank you.

The basement was cold compared to the outside world. He couldn't tell if he was asleep down here, the room wouldn't change whether he was looking or not... and he always seemed to be exhausted when he was alone. This room, when lit, had pure white walls and light grey, almost stoney colored, flooring.

The door, after what seemed like days finally opened. His big blue eyes brightened with welcome and the room was revealed along with a familiar figure that stood intimidatingly in the doorway.

"...Sans." It spoke, and Sans smiled excitedly. He returned! Sans' heart swelled at the sight, the only thing he had really gotten attached to was here, and his presence was no doubt a promise of fun.

"Yes, father?" The small skeleton said with a burning excitement. He crawled out from the darkness of his corner and crept closer to one of his creators.

"We will be having a visitor very soon. Remember the rules and remember your place. You will not speak the truth and only speak the material I have given you, is this clear?" Sans nodded and was tossed a bundle of fabrics. "Put this on, Sans. Your usual robes will not be tolerable in this visitor's presence. I will leave the door unlocked. Come once I beckon you. If you are late, you will not receive the surprise I have ready for you."

Sans gasped in excitement and nodded happily. "Yes, father."

The scientist turned on his heel to leave, but paused once he realized the title his experiment gave him. "Sans, what have I told you about that title? You have permission to answer."

Sans stilled and looked to the floor, his eye lights disappearing and leaving his sockets empty. "You are not my father. You are my creator. The only time I may address you as anything other than Doctor is when I am given permission to do otherwise."

Doctor smiled. He must've been happy, so in turn, Sans would smile and be happy too. "Good. You are to call me father during this visit. Next time I hear you calling me father without permission, you will be punished."

Sans nodded grimly, though Doctor's punishments could be a lot worse, they were still unwanted. The blue eyed child began to speak with a scared hesitance. "...Doctor?"

The doctor pushed his glasses more snugly on his face. He was already turned to the door about to leave, what could the boy- uh, experiment- want now? He sighed. "What, Sans?"

The smaller skeleton pushed down his anxiety triggered magic to prevent himself from salivating or sweating. "Can... can I play with the monsters before the surprise?"

The creator seemed to ponder this, grief and sorrow flashing on his face for brief seconds before sighing annoyedly "sure, Sans" and Doctor left without another word.

Sans happily did as he was told and replaced his usual patient's gown with the normal monster clothes that were tossed to him.

Not half an hour later, Sans was called, he hopped out of the bleak room and rushed to his f- his creator's side. This new room was so much more colourful. It held more than three shades and even a few coloured objects. The most colourful thing must have been the only visible visitor. Toriel, queen of the underground and all monsters.

Her purple robes were still foreign to Sans, and her crown definitely caught his attention every time she visited, glimmering in the white lighting. The warm eyes of the female goat monster fell upon him and scanned the clothes on the young skeleton's back. She would have seemed judging without the motherly aura she seemed to generate.