January 10, 1970

I open my history textbook, regretting my test not a few hours from now, when an envelope slips out. Oops, I think to myself. I recognize Lewis' penmanship and realize I had not written him back. I pull out a pen and a piece of stationary as I write back.

Greeting Lewis!
I apologize for taking so long to get back to you, classes at Penn have been outrageously difficult. I don't mean to bore you with college talk. Anyways, it's good to hear for you! Do write me once you get back from the war, I'm looking forward to seeing you again.
      Sincerely,
              Nicole Collins

Momma silently smirks at me as I seal the envelope and print the address on the front. I close up my textbook and pack my bag, kissing Mom on the cheek before heading out. I step into the bright sunlight of the morning, pausing at the mailbox to slip the letter in. I toss my bag into the back seat and drive to school.

Campus is only about twenty-minutes away from home, so they drive is good, especially on warmer days, but in winter, I make sure to keep the top up on my Impala. Mom and dad got it for me for my graduation, she's been running smooth since 1959, and I'm very proud. Today, it was snowing, not hard snow, but the picture perfect snow. It wasn't cold, the sun was still shinning. The snow flakes danced around me as I went from my house to my car, and my car to my classroom.