Chapter 2: Found

Title: Swim Away

Rating: M (Mature, 18+)

Pairing: Reverse!Edd / Reverse!Kevin

Summary: Eddward Vincent, a wanted man with a secret, finds himself injured while on his escape from hunters. Kevin, a nerdy boy with not much good in his life, finds this wounded stranger by the creek and helps him. But these innocent actions have it's consequences when this shark suddenly drags Kevin into deeper waters, involving him in a game Edd knew would drown Kevin one way or another before he got out of it. If he was lucky enough. (Monster!AU)

Disclaimer: R!Edd & R!Kevin belongs to Asphyxion. I do not own any characters used nor the urban legend used in this story.

((Edd's POV))

There was hardly a moment I remembered after I jumped to the rapid waters, the stinging cold of the water was enough to temporarily shut down my nervous system throughout my shocked body. I do, however, recall falling into what I thought at the time to be my inevitable death, only to wake later, still within the freezing waters and pulled out like a lost item in the river. I remember the dull gleam of glasses in the outlining moonlight and a knit green sweater. I faintly heard the stranger's voice, but I do know he heard mine; cold and threatening. I remember being dragged away, and as I was, I knew I would never see the light of day again. There had been no doubt, they found me. My own audacity and overly confident state of mind led me astray, I had believed I was finally free and didn't think things through, again. Now I sit here in my own darkness and weak state, injured and admittedly hopeless. Consequences had a habit of finding you no matter the situation, I of all people should have known that. I should have known better, I shouldn't have let fears blind me, I could have made a cleaner escape. I had every reason in the world to focus, to find a right frame of mind and calculate according to the situation, and yet I gave into fear and freedom like a child.
I haven't opened my eyes, or even given the hint that I was slightly conscious yet, but it was more for the fact that I would most certainly wake in a test chamber than for who would be waiting there when I arose. I heard the small shift of clothes against each other, and scratching against skin. The stranger beside me breathed almost anxiously, quick yet light, like a child. My breathing, on the other hand, was very slow, faint even to myself, and my body ached like a cold had succumbed my burning muscles. It was nothing new, but the sharp throbbing pain in my head and back was. I wanted to shift but I knew such an action would only send bristling fire-like pain up my weak body, a reaction that would send me arching and sure enough draw attention to the stranger holding me captive. So I lay still, focusing on slowing my panicking heart beat. There was a tight pressure around my head, it felt like bandages, but I wasn't too sure. I didn't have any IV's or any sort of equipment in or around me for that matter. There was a light over me, warming my cold skin with an unfamiliar serenity to it, but I knew better than to find comfort in this condition. They had me right where they wanted me, and I couldn't begin to think of how far I was from any cities or towns. Escaping wouldn't be easy, nearly impossible in fact, especially as injured and aching as I was. I hoped they would at least have the mercy to give me something for the pain, I could only imagine the extent of my injuries.
I heard the soft shuffle of a page, the crispy crackling of a new book being pulled back and cracked at the spine beside me, along with the light scuffle of nervous legs jumping to distract the owner as they waited for their new catch to wake. I was being watched, contained like fish bait and put off to the side until I was useful. The thought made my stomach turn, what exactly could they have planned for me...

I then heard this mystery human rise and walk out of the room with a slight drag. He sounded injured, or tired, and to me that meant not very fast. With any luck, if I allow myself to heal just a bit longer I might be able to make a run for it. I released a breath I had seemingly been holding in the entirety of my waking and finally had the nerve to observe my surroundings, look for an exit if I could. I opened my eyes, and I was immediately blinded by the bright, golden light of the sun.

((Kevin's POV))