four.

I dyed my hair blonde as soon as I got home. I searched for an apartment somewhere in California, needing a change. I couldn't stay in some place that reminded me of my broken heat. I wasn't going to admit it to Zayn, or anyone, but I missed him.

California was nice, my hair was nice. traveling was nice. being away from Zayn was nice. it was different.

I changed my number and blocked him on everything, making sure there was no way he could contact me. I didn't want to be bothered and I didn't want to be a bother.

"happy birthday!" the people within the club shouted.

I smiled and blew out the candles. my manager made me host my birthday party at some club in Vegas. I had a private one with friends and family back in New York though.

of course my family wanted to know where Zayn was, because we're typically two peas in a pod.

out of the corner of my eye, a group of people walked in, but I just kept posing for pictures.

I was handed a mic, out of shock I took it. I didn't really have anything prepared.

"thank you all for celebrating my 23rd birthday with me. this has been the best weekend, of the year," I chuckled. "just have fun and enjoy the rest of the night."

the crowd laughed at my awkwardness and I gave the mic back.

"you look beautiful," the familiar, unwanted, voice spoke.

I grabbed a piece of cake and turned to face zayn, "I bet. what're you doing here?"

"I had to see my best friend on her birthday," he shrugged (cue eye roll).

"I'm not your best friend and you certainly aren't mine, J."

calling each other by our middle names only meant that we were serious. we hadn't done that in a while, since we never really got mad at each other. spending so much time together, we knew which buttons not to press.

"I'm sorry about that night. didn't think you'd cut me out of your life completely. thought it'd be a small argument."

"well it wasn't so..."

"you know you're my bestest friend in the whole wide world and I love you."

he gave puppy dog eyes and had a small smile on his face. he knows I can't resist that.

I groaned, "I love you, too, Zee."

he pulled me into a hug and kissed my forehead.

[AN: last chapter before the epilogue]