Wild Goose Chase

I awoke the next morning to a heavy pounding on the door that had me groaning as I rolled reaching for my mate beside me only to find a long cold empty spot there. Frowning I shot up into a sitting position and scanned the room around me. I couldn’t remember anything last night after throwing myself onto the bed when Aidan had gone to bathe. Looking down I found myself still in my clothes from the night before, and as I looked to the bed beside me I found it still made perfectly from where Aidan had left it the morning before so it was obvious that he had never slept on it. Jumping to my feet I made my way around into the bathroom which I found clean and empty with no traces of having been used that morning. It was at this point that I felt my confusion spike as I scanned the bedroom once more for any kind of note, or anything out of place. The last thing I remembered was Aidan telling me that he loved me so surely he wasn’t angry enough with me to sleep on the couch.

Not one hundred percent sure of that I made my way down the hall into the living room only to find it in the exact same condition I had left it in the night before as well. There was no trace of Aidan anywhere even his scent, though it was still strong, had faded enough to let me know it had been a while since he had been in this room either. My confusion began to edge on panic now as I quickly began to realize my mate was nowhere in this house.

The pounding began on the door once more and I growled to myself as I quickly stalked forward to jerk it open and glare at whoever it was that stood on that door step. I was trying to find out just what the hell was going on, and just where the hell my mate was. I didn’t want to have to deal with company at the same time.  My morning just got even more chaotic and confusing when I found my father standing there before me with his heavy arms crossed over his chest as he raised one brow at me. His deep jade colored eyes studied me closely and I saw the swirling traces of anger there that told me I was probably in trouble and truthfully that wasn’t surprising to me but it was the last thing on my mind.

“Hello Zariah.”

“Hi dad.” I said with a nod of respect before peering around him into the driveway where both mine and Aidan’s car sat in the same places. That was the true moment that panic set into me as I turned my back on my father to stalk my way back through the apartment. I searched for any kind of sign that anyone else had been here while I had been sleeping, but surely I hadn’t been sleeping that hard had I? I would have known if my mate was in any kind of danger, and thankfully it was only Aidan’s heavy scent that lingered around me. The only thing I could think of at this point would have been a run, but then if he had simply been going out for a r un his side of the bed wouldn’t have been untouched and there would have been some kind of note letting me know where he was. Aidan never went anywhere without letting me know what was going on.

“Zariah!” My father snapped bringing my attention back to him. I found him hovering in the doorway of our bedroom, glaring at me now as he blocked any chance of escape I would have had. “Have you even been listening to me?!”

“Sorry dad.” I said shaking my head.

“What in the hell have you been doing?! You’ve got your mother so upset and stressed that she won’t eat or sleep. Annalee and Sabian aren’t speaking and you haven’t even bothered to make any kind of contact with any of us in over a week to let us know you are alive.” He demanded.

“What is it that you want from me dad?! It isn’t as though any of you support me in anything. The only reason I ran to begin with was because you all decided to gang up on me! Or had you conveniently forgotten that?” I snapped back. My temper and wolf were on edge, we didn’t like the fact that our mate seemed to be missing one bit. Something felt off, wrong, it suddenly felt like I was missing something very, very big, but for the life of me I couldn’t get my brain to puzzle together just what it was.