Chapter 1

To me it seems that love always goes out to the highest bidder. Everything comes at a price in the world, so why shouldn't love? I don't believe in the sappy romance stories and I never have. Nothing has ever shown me even the slightest bit of proof that I'm wrong, so that's what I'll believe.

I push the irritating notions from my mind and slip on the black heels that were waiting beneath the vanity. I stand and do a once over just to check on my look. My tattoos were flawlessly covered by Aalayah's makeup skills and as I glanced back up at the killer smoky eye look that surround my blue irises, I couldn't fight off my envy.

"Up next we have the one you've all been waiting for! The lovely, the mysterious, Carmen!" I mock the announcer's voice as I readjust the straps of my short black dress and make sure the pins in this brunette wig aren't going anywhere.

I head onto the stage and the room erupts with cheers, the only thing that keeps me around here is that sound. I approach the microphone and channel that little voice in my head. The one that sounds like honey and silk as I say a soft, "Good evening everyone."

I scan the crowd as they respond and I see a few of the 'regulars' among the faces. I resisted a sigh, seeing that I was in for a long night.

"Alright, let's get this show on the road, shall we?"

I grasped the microphone with a delicate hand and take in a deep breath before beginning to sing. As always it was a pre-selected song, most of the time I feel like I'm just doing a glamorized type of karaoke. I swayed along to the music the band played trying to pretend that this was where I wanted to be. When in actuality, I'd rather be anywhere else.

I watch several men step in the club and I recognized all of them except one, but before I could get a good look at him he slipped into the darkness. I disregarded it almost as soon as I saw it, new faces weren't a rare thing around here. By the end of my set I knew it was time for the real work to start, so soon as I was off stage I hurried to find my boss. I found him in the back with the group of men I had seen earlier. Now that we were in a well-lit area I could clearly see the new arrival's face.

He was a bit short with strawberry blonde hair that was slicked back and shaved on the sides. I also noticed that his ears were pierced and he had a tattoo on the side of his neck. Before I could finish my quick study of him, his blue eyes met mine and I had a split-second thought that this man could easily be considered attractive.

"Ah, Carmen! How nice of you to join us!" My boss greets with his ever so convincing smile.

During business hours he goes by his real last name, Mr. Clarke. Afterwards he goes by the name that sends a chill down the spine of anyone that has the misfortune to know it, Mr. Walsh.

I put on my own best smile replying, "The pleasure is all mine sir, and how are you gentlemen doing this evening?"

The four men that I knew smiled, obvious want lingered in their eyes, telling me that they were well.

The new one surprise me though, by complementing, "Your voice is absolutely wonderful."

I swiftly pushed aside my astonishment and sent him a sweet smile saying, "Why, thank you."

"Alright my dear, go enjoy the rest of your evening. Mr. Taylor and I were discussing some business and I'm sure it would only bore you."

I watched a second of disgust flash over Mr. Taylor's features before his smile came back in place.

"It was nice to meet you, Mr. Taylor." I say giving him a nod.

I noticed his smile take on a different shape, one that was more friendly than other he had been forcing before. "It was nice meeting you too Carmen. You can call me Corey by the way."