Chapter 2

I spun my pen mindlessly around in my fingers, business was unusually slow for the hour. I kept glancing at the clock to see when Aalayah would be back from her lunch break. I truly hated being alone in the shop without her. I strolled through the rows of CDs and records yet again while humming to myself.

I heard the entrance chime go off and without thinking I made the comment, "It's nice of you to finally show back up."

"Well even though I've never been here before, you're welcome." A deep male voice responds, clearly amused.

I began to apologize before I even turned around, "Oh my god, I'm sorry. I thought you were my coworker..."

I stopped speaking as soon as my eyes fell upon the man standing at the front of the store. Was I being overly paranoid or was this actually the guy from last night that stormed out? As soon as he grinned I knew that it was in fact Mr. Taylor.

"You're perfectly fine."

I nodded as I tried to act natural while I moved behind the counter. I did my best to reassure myself that there wasn't any way that he could know who I was.

"So, I hate to have to ask you this, but..." He paused to run a hand through his sort of curly hair and I didn't breathe until he finished with, "Can you tell me how to find The Emporium?"

The name instantly connected to my memory and I knew he was talking about the recording studio just two streets over. I nodded and proceeded to give him the directions to the place, aware that the more I spoke the closer he stepped to the counter.

As soon as I finished he thanked me and then remarked with a nod, "Cool tattoo."

From the direction of his gaze I gathered that he was speaking of the small red heart covered in cushion pins that was just beneath my ear on my neck.

"Thanks." I say as my fingertips subconsciously brushed over it.

The door chime went off again and this time Aalayah did come in the shop. As soon as she saw who I was speaking to a mischievous smirk curled her lips.

"Is everything alright in here?" She questioned, her voice just a bit too high.

"Yeah, it's all good." I reply, doing my best to keep my voice steady.

Mr. Taylor's focus moved back to me saying, "Well I appreciated your help. Have a nice day..." I watched him glance down quickly and for a split second I thought he was staring at my chest, but discovered he was reading my nametag, "Maddie."

My words came out softer than I had intended, "You too."

As soon as he slipped back out the door Aalayah dashed over to where I stood demanding, "What did I just miss?"

I shrugged it off, nonchalantly saying, "I was just giving him some directions."

"But that was the guy that left the auction last night. Don't you think that it's a bit strange that he shows up here the very next day?" She questions wiggling her eyebrows.

"It's probably just a coincidence." I mutter as I step out from behind the register. "I'll see you in a bit."

I headed to the back of the store to grab the lunch I had brought with me and I sat down at the tiny table in the corner of the room, ready to put what just happened behind me.

"I wonder if he'll ever come back." Aalayah pondered loud enough for me to hear.

I wasn't sure if she was speaking of this music store or the club, but I was sure of my answer either way. "I seriously doubt it."