thirteen ; secrets

CHAPTER THIRTEEN: SECRETS

Margo and Alec were laying down in her bed, looking up at the ceiling

"How long do you think it'll be till someone disturbs us?" she asked, turning her head to the side to look at Alec.

He did the same. "Not long," he admitted, brushing a piece of hair out of her eye. She caught his hand as he did so, interlacing their fingers.

This brought a smile to Alec's face, one that stayed put until Isabelle entered Margo's room, frustratingly groaning. "Mom's in rare form today," she exclaimed, laying down between her brother and her parabatai.

Margo's green eyes found Alec's hazel ones as Isabelle shut her eyes. She smiled innocently at him, shrugging. Yes, their moment had been ruined, but this was Izzy – it was kind of hard to be mad at her.

"She's been different since she got back from Idris," Alec observed, placing his hands by his sides.

Margo quirked an eyebrow. "Really? Cause she seems to be the same old judgmental Maryse to me."

A silence passed over the trio until Izzy broke it. She opened her eyes, glancing her brother's way. "Have you spoken to Jace yet?"

"He can call me when he's done chasing that little girl and—"

Margo cut him off, understanding the look that framed Izzy's face. "Alec, you need to call Jace."

Suddenly, the door to Margo's room swung open, making the three on the bed sit up abruptly. At Margo's doorway stood Robert Lightwood and his youngest son, Max, both dressed in suits.

A smile adorned Margo, Alec, and Isabelle's faces as they saw the familiar pair. "No welcome home for the old man?"

"Max!" Alec greeted excitedly, joining the two girls in standing up and welcoming Max and Robert. His younger brother ran up to him, allowing Alec to bend down and hug him as Isabelle hugged her father.

Robert turned to Margo, pulling her in as well. "Good to see you, kiddo," he smiled, ruffling up her hair before she turned to Max, who ran towards her and latched onto her leg.

She grinned, bending down to hug the boy. "Hey, Mighty Max. What're you doing back so soon?"

He pulled away from the hug to answer her. "Got in trouble in Mumbai."

She smiled playfully. "Uh oh, what'd you do?"

"Nothing."

Robert cleared his throat from a few feet away, correcting his son's answer. "He started a fire with his stele during rune studies."

Margo chuckled. "I told you, I was hungry," he tried to explain, turning to Margo and Alec as they crouched to reach his height. "I was trying to draw the Nourishment rune."