Chapter Five - There's No Going Back

14th November 2015

Saturday greets me with sunshine and a pounding headache, although, I wouldn't be half surprised if the latter is due to listening to my alarm wail for the past thirty minutes - early starts on weekends really aren't my forte. I glance over the bed at the clock - eight AM, exactly an hour before I am scheduled to meet my friends and depart for Somerley Street. Last night we all debated about flying, but since the nearest park with a designated landing and take-off spot is within a radius of about a fifteen to twenty minute walk from each of our homes, and then the nearest park to Somerley Street is at least a twenty minute walk, and the added fact that getting up any earlier on a Saturday morning is practically a sin in our books, we decided upon the taking the bus. I feel thankful for this decision since my wing still aches slightly from my fall at school.

I scramble out of bed before opening my wardrobe and scavenging for something to wear on this abnormally sunny autumn day. I finally pick out a tight navy, red and white striped top, a pair of skinny, ripped denim jeans, a navy bomber jacket and a pair of white platform shoes. After washing, I stand in front of the bedroom mirror, attempting to de-tangle the red mop that is my hair and then quickly applying some makeup. My long, firey hair and wings catch the sun, causing them to possess an ethereal glow.

After eating a hearty breakfast of two bowls of cereal, toast slathered with chocolate spread, a banana and a cereal bar, I hurtle into the lounge where my mother and Zoe are watching TV. The night before, I had told my mother that I was planning to meet my friends and that I could be away the whole day. I still feel guilty about leaving my mum to fend for herself and Zoe but she had insisted so strongly that I go out and enjoy myself that even if I try to stay home, she probably would force me out of the house. I quickly kiss my mother on the cheek and hug Zoe, before scraping together just enough money for the bus, slinging a bashed-up grey messenger bag over my shoulder and wing and sprinting out of the flat.

Slowing to a jog, I arrive at the bus stop at precisely quarter-past-nine.

"Hi!" Xela greets me, hugging me tightly.

"Yeah, sorry I'm late - I couldn't get out of bed, as usual." I say with a nervous giggle, pulling out of Xela's strong embrace.

"When you two have finished having your little moment, you may want to note that the bus has just arrived." Zach teases, pointing at the large double-decker that has indeed just pulled up beside us.

"Thanks dad." I retort, whacking him playfully with my bag. We wander onto the bus, the driver eyeing us warily and double-checking our money. As soon as the driver grudgingly lets us on, we rush upstairs and take the designated 'alatum humana' back seats with slots built into the backs of the seats for our wings. I end up wedged between Zach and Xela, Xela taking a window seat and Zach sitting directly in the middle of the bus. Jack and Orla sit on one side of Zach, apparently in deep conversation about something. Well, by conversation I mean Orla bombarding Jack with a steady stream of speech and Jack nodding and replying in the gaps between Orla's monologue.

"I feel like I'm on some kind of special mission." I say, keeping my voice relatively low.

"Autumn the secret agent. What a great idea, I'm sure we can all imagine how discreet you would be." Xela replies dryly, the wide smile on her face giving away her amusement at the idea.

"Yeah, true - I'm practically a beacon. Seek the flame and ye shall find." I say, my face cracking into a smile. Zach laughs, glances down at me, then breaks out in laughter again. Xela joins in, probably laughing at Zach's extremely comical wheeze-like laugh rather than my comment.

"Okay, what am I missing out on?" Orla blurts out.

"Oh- just Autumn- an agent. Oh my God." Zach practically screams between wheezes.