f o u r

Later into the night, as I lie in my bed, I think of my family, back at home. I know I shouldn't, but they keep crossing my mind. I love them, and I miss them so much, and I know that they will be my last thought. I just hope that they think of me.

I won't live another day after this competition to hear my dad's chatter about how that morning's fishing went. Or my mother reminiscing about how she used to walk down to the square and buy fish for her family every morning (like I do now). Then the thing that bothers me most...Alex. I will miss his blue eyes, the colour of the sea. I will miss his laugh, from the times he would try to tell jokes, but couldn't finish without choking on his laughter.

I won't see him grow up. I won't see him finish school. I won't see him start working out in the sea. I won't see him get married to that girl he likes, or even have the kids he says he wants. He planned a lot of his life out, and I won't be able to see his dreams and wishes come true...

I am woken to the sound of someone tapping on my door.

"Good morning!" Clementine sings "time to wake up, Mira!"

She continues to tap a merry tune onto my door, until I walk over in my yellow pyjamas and open it, and see her face show disgust as she looks at my face.

"Oh my goodness- Mira! You have a terrible skin rash..."

I put my hand onto my face at once. I feel the rough skin under my fingertips and feel the need to scream in frustration. But I don't. Once again, I just sigh and explain to her that I have really bad acne. Which isn't a lie. But she doesn't take it.

"Nonsense. You must've had an allergic reaction to the pillow case, or the feathers. I'm sure that the stylists will be able to fix you up with something. We can't have a pretty face like yours ruined for the cameras!"

"Okay," I nod. There's no point arguing. She won't listen.

I reason with her about putting on makeup. I do not wish to do this, as I would never have even considered it if I were home. After a while, I give up, and going to the bathroom. She was right. I look awful. Worse than I usually do.

My skin is red and irritated. I look like I have just consumed a lot of almonds (which I am highly allergic to. I never really liked them anyway).

I sigh again, then rummage through the cabinets. There must be something that will work...

In the end, I don't bother. I didn't want to take the wrong thing and end up with iridescent skin. Then I would look awful for the cameras. But, that's what the capitol like to look like. I am not one of them though. I was born in district four and that's who I am. Just another girl from there, who will die a terrific slaughter of a death. Even then, I will still be the girl from district four. Forever, that's who I shall be.

I walk out of my room and down for breakfast, wearing a deep green t shirt and some black leggings, the same ones that I slept in.

Just like last night, I am greeted by the sight of magnificent foods of all kind. They all smell delicious, and I don't even know what half of the foods are. My usual breakfast of kippers seems like nothing compared to the selection in front of me.

I sit in the same seat I was in yesterday, and instead of Annie, Mags sits next to me. I turn to face her, possibly say good morning-hello, but she just smiles at me, so I do the same back. She never seems to talk. People think she's crazy, but I think she's brilliant, especially as she can do so much without saying anything. Probably traumatised by the games, but there isn't much else expected.

A plate of food is put in front of my face, and I try to analyse what everything is, eggs, toast, and some triangles with a crispy shell. When I cut into it, and try some it tastes like a potato. Whatever it is, it tastes nice anyway.

I eat all that is put on my plate and drink a glass that is full with an opaque deep yellow liquid. It takes like sugar and oranges. But more like sugar. It's probably orange juice. But it doesn't have the tiny flakes in it or taste of actual fruit like the one that we have back at home in district four.

I stuff myself until I am so full I cannot even look at food anymore. I get up and walk around the train carriage for a while, until I hear the sound of the door as it slides open. Sam appears in the doorway.

In the weirdest way, I do not wish to look at him, as I know that he might be the one to kill me. In the end. Sometimes when there are two victors from the same district, they pair up and kill together, and then when they are the only ones left, one will kill the other.

Like being someone's friend all this time and then stabbing them in the back-literally. I remember one of the tributes from district 7 doing that a couple of years ago. It's a horrible thing to even think about, never mind ending up in that situation.

But as I think about it more and more, that could be me. Although there's no chance of that- I wont even survive the bloodbath. In fact, I wont even make it to the cornucopia alive.