Chapter 7

Transparent Eyes

Chapter 7

The next day, I woke up around eleven in the morning and lazily turned on the TV after grabbing some food from the kitchen.

A few hours later, I heard the doorbell. Confused, I got up and only hesitated for a second before opening the door, still wearing my pajamas.

“SLEEPOVER!” Three voices yelled as soon as I opened the door.

I blinked at my best friends then I gasped. I had completely forgotten about our sleepover at Patrick’s tonight.

“You didn’t have to wear you pajamas now…” Lindsay commented. Looks like she was able to leave home sooner than I thought! I was kind of surprised her mom let her go while they had relatives over.

 “I forgot! I’m so sorry! I’ll go pack and change right now. Come in, sit down, eat something!” I rushed out as I pushed all three of them inside and ran up to my room.

I heard them laughing at me as I ran to my room. I quickly packed a bag, shoving stuff without even thinking. I then took a quick shower and got dressed.

When I stumbled down the stairs, I heard Patrick telling me, “You know, I can really see how much this sleepover meant to you since you completely forgot about it.”

I gave them a guilty look. “I’m so sorry!”

“Too busy thinking about Jeffrey?” Lindsay commented and I scowled at her.

I didn’t think about him that much. I still didn’t know him that well, anyway.

“Let’s just go,” I then said as I opened the front door.

When we arrived to the house, Patrick’s mom opened the door, smiling like a kid on Christmas. Her hair was tied up in a messy bun and her cheeks were flushed. She was wearing cotton shorts and a black T-shirt with a bright blue apron above her clothes.

“It’s been a long time since you all came here! I’m so excited!” She started saying, almost jumping up and down with excitement. She reminded me of a hyper kid who ate too much sugar.

“Mom, calm down.”

Patrick was looking at her with wide eyes.

“I cooked lunch! And baked cookies! And cake! And brownies!”

I bit my lips to stop myself from laughing at her excitement.

“Come in! Come in!” She then said, ushering us inside. “I’ll set the table while you go put your stuff upstairs.”

We nodded as we went upstairs to put our bags in the guest bedrooms even though we knew we would all end up sleeping on the floor in Patrick’s room.

When we got to the kitchen, I saw Patrick eating a cookie. I hit his purple cap and said, “No sweets before lunch!”

“You’re not my mother!”

“Patrick! What did I say about eating sweets before lunch?” His mom said as she appeared by our side. I laughed at him as he pouted but kept on eating cookies.

His mom insisted that we eat in the garden and we didn’t mind at all. It was much better than the kitchen, anyway.

The weather outside was perfect. There were no dark clouds but there was a slight breeze.

Patrick’s mom had prepared hamburgers but I think she doubled or tripled the recipe… When she got excited about visitors she would cook. A lot.