NINE

★★★★★

NINE; THE NEW PACK

"BELLA SWAN, what have you done?" Blaire whispered, staring at the girl who looked like she was on the brink of death.

"Blaire," Bella said back, her voice barely a whisper. "You're back from college."

"Seth told me what happened. Actually," Blaire's head spun around to glare at Edward. "How did this happen? I thought it wasn't possible."

"We also believed that," Carlisle spoke up. His voice was calm and collected. "However, it's true. There's a hybrid growing inside of Bella's stomach."

"Then take it out!" Blaire argued.

Bella growled. "No. He stays with me."

"He?" Blaire choked. "Bella, that thing will ruin you!"

"Be a little softer with your tone, Blaire," Jake instructed, entering the room.

She rolled her eyes. "Must I listen to you now since I'm on your side? I'm not thrilled with the idea or concept that you're my new alpha, Jake."

He returned the glare. "And you think I am? Geez, you come back from Stanford and now you're all high and mighty."

She swatted his shoulder before pulling him aside. Although she knew everyone in the room except for Bella can hear her, she still spoke lowly. "Look, I didn't want to come back to this. I was hoping to just deal with the fact that everyone thinks I'm a selfish bitch for leaving Embry behind. Although, this is now my top priority. Have you spoken with my imprint?"

"No, I haven't. He's on Sam's side for now."

Blaire sighed, rubbing her forehead to ease her growing headache.

"I'm guessing you will be too," Jake added.

She darted her head up to glare at him. "No, I won't. If Bella wants to keep the baby, then I'l defend her."

"Oh, so you're referring to it as a baby now as well?"

"Jesus, Jake. What do you think is growing inside of her? A fucking plant?"

Bella cleared her throat once she saw Blaire and Jake quietly arguing. Blaire twisted around to face her, but almost gagged when she saw Bella drinking blood out of a white plastic cup.

"Holy shit. What the hell did I miss while I was off at college?" Blaire gasped, covering her eyes from the scene in front of her.

Bella ignored her statement. "Blaire, I'm really glad you're here."

"Really? Because I'm not so-"

Blaire elbowed Jake in the stomach to cut off his statement. "I'm glad I'm here too, Bella. I'm sure you need a better werewolf to protect you than this idiot." She pinched Jake's ear and he pushed her away.

"I seriously have to thank you and your sister," Bella smiled calmly. Although, in her shape, it looked a bit more grim than reassuring.