Wolf children: choice

Word count:500 (contains slight spoilers for Wolf Children movie. )

"To be human, or wolf?"

His mother's question came to mind often now, still fresh after all the years since she had said it without thought when he was still a toddler, running around like the everything was right in the world. Now the boy understood what she meant, as he sat in silence on the porch, a lone dark figure in the storm. His skinny teenage frame was just another shadow, but the cloudy storming sky above cast a certain shadow on his eyes.
He pulled his legs to his chest quietly, as if he was cold, though it was just a gesture to help him remember why he was out here and not in his own warm bed.  The pouring rain and wind was nothing to him, just more numbness on his pale skin. This place used to be so comforting, the warmth of the house that his mother alone had patched up and built herself. The quiet breaths of his sleeping sibling and Mom nearby. The old creaking boards and occasional drip of the ceiling when it rained. But now...
He felt like he was another thing completely. Like he didn't belong here. Being close to them would only bring back the question.

"To he human or wolf."

Ame shook his head and his blueish bangs fell across his eyes, which were focused and steely, though they stared at nothing into the dark woods across the yard through the driving grey rain. He blinked several times, not quite sure himself why he was out here alone, biting back the chill of the monsoon in the country. The wooden porch was uncomfortable beneath him where he sat, uneven chipped boards. But he had no inclination to move. He was frozen here, not wanting to be but was. It was confusing, to be something you don't want to, or do something without realizing why. But here he was, in the worst storm in Years, staring off into the dark wind blown forest, alone. A few bugs chirped, only occasionally breaking through the roar of the wind and distant thunder. Ame didn't hear them. None of it. All he heard was one question, swirling through his mind. A deafening memory.
Human...or wolf...
Human
Or wolf.
He felt like neither. He just felt alone.  He had hurt Yuki, that he was sure of, when she had asked him a similar question. The boy lowered his eyes, focusing the steely mahogany orbs on the ground with an intense look of thought. He had hurt her.
The boy sighed, closing his eyes.
Human or wolf? 
His eyes opened slowly, a dullness in the usually sharp orbs.
And he would hurt his mother too with his new decision. 
He had chosen. And it pained him.
"I'm sorry mom..." He whispered, glancing slowly back into the dark house, though he knew she couldn't hear him. "I'm sorry... I chose," and he stepped off the creaky wooden porch for the last time without looking back.

---
dont own wolf children, obviously.