Pancakes Mean Good People

Chapter 1

I don't like surprises. In fact, people could go so far as to say I hate them with an unholy passion. So what happens? I get ambushed in my own territory by members of my enemy clan, and I was stabbed in the stomach with a poisoned knife.

There is no way around it. That was a nasty surprise. I remember my world going black and thinking, The stupid mother fuckers got me in the end, and I was resigned to die...
BUT NO!
Yet another surprise!!
Here I am waking up in a strange bed in a foreign house, with absolutely no idea how I got there. My heart just couldn't take it any more.

I cautiously slid out of the bed and softly padded to the closed door. I tested it and found that it was unlocked. With the up most care, I sneaked out of the room and poked my head around the corner.

There I saw a young man (boy really) making pancakes and eggs. It smelled delicious and my stomach growled against my will. Apparently, almost dying can take a toll on you.

I debated with myself, wondering if the boy before me was a threat. But concluded that if he was making pancakes, then he was all right. I mean what evil person makes pancakes?

I tentively step out and around the corner, and waited for him to turn around and see me. I didn't have to wait long. When he did see me he just stopped and stared, not blinking or jumping in fright. He just stared. I was a bit daunted by his reaction (or more like, less of a reaction), but never the less I tried to facilitate a conversation.

"Uuh...hi. Um, my name is Tayto, Tayto Nickamura. So like...how did I get here?" I asked him awkwardly. His eyes were so unsettling; an intense pale green that reminded me of a sun beam hitting a summer leaf.

"I carried you." He said neutrally. Before I could come up with an answer, he turned and flipped the pancakes. I was having trouble reading him. He had such a strange vibe.

"Oh, um okay." Was all I got out. Struggling. I am struggling here. Before I could make up my mind as to what to do, he turned around and handed me a plate of pancakes and eggs.

"Don't stand in the kitchen, you're in the way. And here, breakfast. So go sit at the island over there." He ordered and I wordlessly took the plate. I just stared at him in confusion before he turned me around and guided me to a seat at the island.

"What's your name?" I blurted out and then instantly cursed myself internally. I was just getting more awkward by the second.

"Evan Cadwell. But the real question is, who are you?" He said evenly.

"That's not important." I muttered out around a fork-full of pancake.

" I beg to differ. I found you bleeding out in a back alley, slumped over in the rain. I was going to call an ambulance, but you begged me not to. You forced me to promise to not call the authorities or tell anyone where you were. And then I had to carry you to my apartment and have my nurse friend stitch you up." He replied, his soft voice gaining a hard under tone with every word spoken.

"Wait! You told someone? After you promised not to?!" I demanded, my lip curling into a snarl.

"It was either keep my mouth shut and watch you die on my sofa or call a professional and have you live." Evan said coolly, no remorse in his voice.

"Yeah, but now we're all in danger!" I cried as I felt my stomach churn in apprehension and I lost my appetite.

"My friend knows how to keep a secret. As well do I. In the last five days I have been nursing you and getting you back up to strength. You're welcome, by the way." He snapped. I blinked twice before deciding on what to do.