The Tribute Parade

I sit patiently on a steel bed, waiting. My prep team are long gone but Adelaide assured me that my stylist would be here just after they left. But instead, I've been waiting here for him or her for 20 minutes. The Tributes have to be assembled at the paddock at 9:30 and it is gradually nearing an hour before. I check my wrist out of casual instinct to see that no watch appears on my arm. I chuckle to myself, amused by my own foolishness but I'm interrupted when the door opens and a short figure slips in. I peer up instantly to see a pale skinned freckled girl with beautifully fair blonde hair and a quaint smile. I shoot my hand out and she shakes it vigorously.

"Hi, I'm Luna, your stylist. I see Adelaide, Everette and Virgo have sorted you out but I just finished watching your Reaping tape and you have naturally gorgeous looks too," Luna beams. She is incredibly sweet and kind towards me which I cherish because not many people are right now. During this period, they congratulate me or pity me. But Luna does neither, making me feel happy, an emotion I never thought I'd truly feel before or in the Games. "I can't wait for you to see what I have planned for you to wear at the Tribute Parade. You already look lovely but I'm sure you'll please the crowd with this showstopper I have for you!" She giggles and I do too, another thing I never thought I'd do, even when the Games aren't involved. It is just too girly of a gesture for me to usually perform.

"So, in just 15 minutes we'll be catching a glimpse of this year's Tributes. What sort of impression do you think they'll make on the crowd?" Caesar Flickerman laughs cheerily. There is a live feed playing on several televisions in the circular pen. Chariots are in a neatly fashioned order, coming by number of District. So that means that we'll be going second. Speaking of we, Ridley hasn't arrived from styling yet and I have been waiting for what seems like a long time. I wonder what is going on. This feels like a burden to me, not knowing what is happening to my fellow Tribute, even though I shouldn't care about him. But I do. Though, I'm sure he is fine. Besides, just assessing the other Tributes costumes is enough of a task to take up all of my thought. Some are mediocre and there were a fair few that look quite ugly but a couple look absolutely ludicrous. The first Tribute pair that grabs everyone's attention, in the wrong way however, are District 4. They are both dressed up in vibrant emerald and sapphire skintight jumpsuits that shimmer if any light reaches the outfit. With every move they make, a thousand tiny scales glisten in the light. Too many sparkles if you ask me. The second are District 10, dressed as cows! Patches of micro glittery dots have been slotted together to shape several larger pieces of material. And to complete the costume, a ringing cowbell is fastened around their necks, dangling irritatingly every time they bend over or sit down. A figure comes to sit down next to me. I grunt quietly, hopefully not letting my new companion hear, and peer upwards, ready to protest against anyone but Ridley being allowed to sit here.

"Marshall Rhodlin," The boy says, a cheeky smile playing at the edge of his lips. He has thick black hair that swamps his paper white face.

"Candace Jennings. District?" I question, sounding unnaturally enthusiastic. This is unusual for me. Marshall brushes his locks away from his face so I have a perfect view into his ocean blue eyes, glistening with my own reflection. He smiles cheerily at me.

"District 3, you?"

"District 2," I reply flatly, not to be rude but allowing me to concentrate on his outfit. It is a plain black jumpsuit with transparent lines of what seems like plastic or glass. I don't really see the theme of electrical goods or power shining through but who knows, plenty of designers have tricks up their sleeves. That reminds me of Luna. Currently, I am wearing a wondrous grey gown that is cinched in at the waist and flows effortlessly over my long legs. There is some sort of surprise in store that Luna hasn't informed me about so even I'll be shocked - hopefully - when I see it! "Sorry, I'm a bit preoccupied." I apologise for my slight ignorance as I look at him gratefully.